CHAPTER TEN: BEING UNFIT

Rhea could not sleep a wink as her mind went over and over what had happened the previous night. It was so atypical of the Crightons. Well, she knew them from the day she was born and despite their massive wealth, they were not society people. The Crightons and Coopers rarely attended parties and social events if not for a really good cause.

For them, family was everything. That was why Aunt Selena had been so affected when Zach had not shown up. But Slade Palmer had been part of their circle too and for a long time. Rhea could not believe they had chosen her over her father. She had been in that family because of his connections with them and it was weird that they had sided up with her. And Adam had been acting as her hero again.

When would he ever learn? He wanted to make her happy she understood that. She felt the same way about him. But it was not love he felt for her; it was only pity. She knew the difference well since pity was the only emotion she was familiar with.

Lost in her thoughts, she jumped when her phone buzzed beside her and frowning she looked over at the screen. It flashed Adam. Rhea suppressed a groan. Not again! Why was he so hell-bent to prove to her how much he loved her? Sometimes she wondered if he was proving his feelings to her or himself.

She was even starting to have doubts about his feelings for her now. She might as well admit to herself that at first she had believed that Adam must have been harboring strong feelings for here. When Zoey had talked to her about him being faithful for two years without mishap, it had certainly looked like he was sincere. And Rhea had run scared.

That was why she had executed her perfect plan. It was more to convince herself that such a thing never existed. And she had been proven wrong every time. But after the fiasco kiss experiment, she was sure it would never work out between them. And if Adam could not see that then he must be seriously delusional.

Even Rhea was not stupid to believe that bad sex was not enough incentive to put a man off. Her next move had been proving him how unfit she was and that was going to be a piece of cake. She had no effort to put in here since she was really out of shape unlike Zoey. She rarely worked out and this was going to change.

And she would start with their morning joggings which Adam and Zoey had the habit of every Wednesdays and Sundays. And today was Sunday.

Jumping out of her bed, she picked up the phone when it rang again.

“Good morning A.D.C,” she chirped. She rarely called him that name now especially after being so awkwardly aware of him. But today was an exception. She was sure that her plan would work out. Everything was in her favor. Even her evil father was out of picture now and she was going to get back her apartment in two days.

“Good morning,” he replied sounding surprised. “In a good mood, aren’t we?” he asked his voice muffled like he was doing something else at the same time.

“Yah. Are you going for your usual run this morning?” she asked casually already knowing the answer. Zoey was already in the bathroom getting ready while Rhea had been ready for the past thirty minutes. She would not miss that for the world.

“Sure. Let me guess. You’re joining us?”

And Rhea was amazed at how much he sounded normal. Wasn’t he even surprised? He had practically begged her to join the gym with him once but Rhea had categorically refused. Sports was simply not her cup of tea.

“Well, yes. If you don’t mind that is,” she replied a bit taken aback. Damn! Why was her plans always backfiring on her when she least expected it? Wasn’t he the one who was supposed to be perplexed instead?

“Mind? No. Of course not. I love you, remember?” he said impertinently and like always he had his way around her. Rhea was hoping he would forget to mention that sentence but it would seem that it was all he had in mind. Well, she would make sure he ended up hating her eventually when she was done with him.