CHAPTER FIFTEEN: NOBODY DIES OF UNREQUITED LOVE

Adam knew something was amiss. The house next door was too quiet, too gloomy for the past two weeks now and even as he peeked through his window, he could not see the usual porch light on. It was two weeks now since Rhea had managed to hurt him so much that he had decided to stop harassing her.

It had been harassment; she had been quite clear about that. But whether it was out of habit or love, Adam just had to make sure she was okay. And the lack of activity from the nearby house was making him worried. Maybe she was out or something?

Trying to be discreet, he peered once again out of the window trying to figure out what the hell was happening. Was she sick or something? Should he go and visit? Since she had made it clear that she wanted no more to do with them, nobody had visited her since the face-off. Not even Zoey.

Even if he had reassured her that nothing was anyone’s fault and that he was okay, Zoey had been subdued during the past few days responding only when she was addressed to. Even Aunt Selena had guessed there was something wrong with her at Uncle Ashton’s dinner party but had thankfully refrained from any comments.

Now even if Zoey was still in his house, they were like two strangers not even speaking to each other properly. And to top it all, Rhea was nowhere to be seen. Zach had also taken off for some assignment and Adam somehow felt that the gang was falling apart.

Of course, he had known that one day his best friends would go on their own paths. Life was not always about friendship but he had been foolish enough to hope that their friendships would last like the previous generation of Crightons and Coopers. The latter had managed to keep in touch even after so many years although not being here for each other all the time. But at least during hard and good times they have always been supported each other.

Well, it was life and he was so sad for their friendship to die a premature death. And it was all because of him. If he had not been stupid enough to fall in love with Rhea, they would have still been close. It had been his love which had spoilt everything. First between Rhea and him. Now between Rhea and Zoey.

He sighed loudly and jumped when he found Zoey just behind him. Damn she must have seen him peeking out on Rhea’s house. And must be thinking he was still stalking her. Even after all that had happened. Talk about being a sucker.

“Hey,” he greeted gently noticing the dark circles under Zoey’s eyes. “Where have you been?” he said letting the curtain fall back into its place as he turned round to face her fully.

“Out,” she said her voice sounding a bit dull which was quite in contrast with her usual bubbly nature. “Zach has still not responded to any of my messages. Can you believe him?” she snapped irritated but there was still a dull note to the tone of her voice. Like she did not really care.

“He must be busy. You know how he gets when he tries to bag a deal. He will come back when the deal is done and his team starts working on the new assignment.”

They were not discussing what they really wanted to. Rhea. They were only prevaricating since the subject had been taboo between them for a while now. And Zoey wanted to tell him something but she was hesitating. It was awkward; something he had never felt with Zoey before.

“Look…” he began.

“Will it help if I go first?” she cut him off gently this time. “I have been meaning to talk to you but I haven’t found the courage. But now I think we should talk about it before we fall even further apart,” she finally looked at him and Adam gasped.

Her pretty eyes were full of remorse and if he was not mistaken he could even see a thin sheen of tears in the rim of her green eyes.

“Zo…”