CHAPTER THIRTEEN: NO TRUE LOVE WITHOUT JEALOUSY

Adam stopped abruptly as he caught sight of the scene which presented in front of his eyes. Just as he was jogging past Rhea’s doorstep, he saw a couple quite intimately enlaced seeming lost in each other’s embrace. When he got closer he got the shock of his life when he was able to define Rhea’s silhouette.

For one second, he stopped short. Why the hell was Rhea standing so intimately close to a stranger? Alarmed, he looked over at Zoey who was trying to signal him frantically. She had her back to them and he could not read her frenzied expression. He was too pissed off to even try.

“What’s with you?” he mouthed puzzled and impatient. Thankfully, Zoey was close enough to catch his language.

“Good sex,” she was saying over and over again and pointing in their direction in an obvious way. Adam wanted to slap her since she was behaving so crazy in such a complicated situation. Then it clicked.

Good sex was the next thing the article had mentioned and instead of showing him that she was not very good at sex, Rhea was simply showing him that she was not loyal. By pretending to be going out or interested in someone else. He could not help feeling amused.

She was so predictable. Rhea Cooper who had never even looked twice at any other male would suddenly find herself a boyfriend just to prove that she had moved on. Well, Adam had to admit she certainly had guts.

When the guy turned a bit in their direction, Adam recognized him as the Alvarez guy who had dine with Zoey and Zach and at the same time he heard a swift intake of breath at his side. It was Zoey who had also turned to watch the show and had seen Rhea’s companion as well.

It would seem that Miss Cooper had worked out that puzzle as well. Adam had wondered who she would be using for her partner in crime since each of her friends were their mutual friends. And no one would dare pull out such a stunt against him. He was after all the heir to several billions.

Zoey looked back at him her eyes reflecting the same amusement he was feeling. Rhea was completely crazy to think that he would bite the dust over such a petty act. For one minute, he was tempted to let the game last longer as he would love to see to which extent she was willing to go. But knowing her, she must be paying the guy or something.

And besides, he was starting to get tired. The game was getting too farfetched and boring now. They had wasted enough time by trying to ignore what was so flagrant. It was time to confront her. To ask her what she really felt about him. Adam had really thought that Rhea had realized how much he loved her; she had certainly made him feel that way just before Zach’s return.

 But he had never expected her to continue her stupid plan. He had to admit that he had sometimes wondered about how she would have reacted to that next advice. And it would seemed that she had lived up to his expectations.

Expectations of being completely and utterly stupid. He felt his patience slipping; in one second amusement was replaced by annoyance. What the hell was that girl thinking? Did she really think that by pretending to be going out with someone else, she would be able to move on? And just when he had thought that she had been ready to accept him. After so much effort.

For the first time since he had discovered his love for Rhea, he felt disheartened. And it left a sour taste in his mouth. Clenching his jaws, he moved in her direction but was only stopped by Zoey who looked back at him with a warning look.

“Don’t!”

Adam hissed to show his anger since he could not express himself without having the other two hearing their conversation.

“Don’t give her the pleasure. It’s what she’s looking for. Come on, let’s go back,” she whispered sounding angry and sad at the same time. He felt his muscles bulge as he wanted to land a fist in the face of that Matt. What an opportunist that guy! They were still engrossed in what seemed like an intimate conversation unaware of their presence.