Chapter 32

Harry

I cannot believe that after a full week I'm finally going to meet with my darling again. It was so hard to be apart from her knowing she was right there in the hospital. I had to contain myself from escaping the front line and come here just to see her.

But tonight, I finally got to be with her and spend some time alone with my love.

Hopefully, this war was ending very soon. There is nothing I want more than to go home with Grace, marry her, and finally start our life together. But for now, I will have to content myself with seeing her every few weeks. We are luckier than most of the couples who only get to see each other a couple of times a year. But we deserve it considering we have been three years apart.

Three years we will never get back.

At least being able to see her more regularly gives me something to look forward to, which did not happen since the beginning of the war. I have to keep myself alive for her, for my darling, she needs me and I need her.

I had just hopped off the truck that was bringing some wounded soldiers to the hospital and made my way to Ben's bed. It was already dark outside, meaning that Grace surely had already ended her shift and was waiting for me with Ben. Tonight, I cannot stay here for long, but I'm sure Ben won't mind waiting a few minutes so I can spend some time alone with my Grace.

Unlike the previous week, the hospital is not overly crowded. This last week the enemy was calmer than usual at least in our fighting area, and didn't launch any surprise attacks. It gave us time to prepare for an attack initiated by us, which would happen sometime during the following week. We were aiming to surprise them in the middle of the night, so we could regain some of the territories they were occupying. They were losing territory every day, it was just a matter of time before we regained control of this area.

Quickly, I found Ben sitting on his bed, with a strange expression on his face. I'm sure he is tired of being here, I would also be. I mean, if Grace was my nurse then I wouldn't mind staying here for the rest of my life. "Mate!" I don't waste any time in opening my arms to hug him. He was like a brother to me.

"Finally! I thought you weren't coming today." Ben complains and I roll my eyes at him.

Yes, he is completely healed now.

"I had to wait for the truck to come here. How are you feeling?" I ask looking around me trying to find Grace. She must be in her tent and lost track of time, I'm sure she will be here in any minute now.

I just miss her so much.

"Great. Can't wait to go back to the front with you."

It was good seeing Ben this excited, I truly feared for his life when he got shot during battle. If I lost him, I don't know what I would do. Ben is like the brother I never had, he is like family to me. In some strange way, I feel responsible for him, his wellbeing is one of my main priorities, and I will always help him in everything he needs. Now and for the rest of our lives.

War has this strange way of bringing us together.

"Where is Grace? She knew I was coming today, right?" I ask continuing to look around but there is no sign of my beautiful brunette anywhere.

"Well... I haven't seen her all day." Ben says a little apprehensive.

"What? What do you mean?" I look at him confused. I'm almost one hundred percent sure Grace was working today.

Ben looks up to me. "She came here in the morning to check up on me, but I haven't seen her since then. I simply assumed she went to sleep but it has been a lot of hours since that." I furrow my eyebrows after Ben's words.