Chapter 23

Grace

"So I will see you later today?" I ask Martha after I change into my regular clothes after my shift ended today, as I had the whole afternoon off.

These were my last days working on this hospital, I would only have one more day of working before I go to Africa with Charlie's team. Today he introduced me to the remaining members who were going to be my company for God knows how long. They were all very nice, the team consisted of three male doctors including Charlie, the other two being much older than him, and seven nurses, myself included. With the exception of one, they were all very young just like me.

It was strange facing Charlie again, especially after what Harry told me the other day. I had already noticed how strange he acted around me, but I didn't want to believe that it meant anything. But now I know that he has some kind of problem with me, and I noticed it today when he couldn't take his eyes from me the whole time. Strangely I didn't feel unsafe, because even though he might be a little crazy, he never did anything that would make me feel scared. Besides, the rest of the team seem very normal so I don't think it will be a problem. I will do my job and that is all that matters. If he does try anything I don't have any problem in fighting back. 

"Yes, I can't wait for tonight!" Martha says excitedly.

Tonight is going to be my farewell party. Well, I wouldn't call it exactly a party, it is more like a normal night out. Harry and I were going to the pub for dinner and then we are going to the dances with Martha, Ben, and his date. I was looking forward to it because I was going to miss them so much.

Martha had also been assigned a hospital already, she was going to the Eastern front as they were in great need of qualified nurses to help. I was sad that we couldn't remain together, but I'm sure in the future we will meet each other again. "Me neither! I'm just going to start packing some of my things... When you come back you need to help me do those curls I love." I smile and she simply hugs me tenderly.

"Don't worry, I will make you look ravishing for your Harry." I couldn't help but blush with her words. "See you later! And have fun!" Martha kisses my cheek quickly before leaving me alone in the changing room. Martha's fiancé, Mathew was going to come home before she went to the Eastern front and she was devastated by it, even though she tried to appear unbothered. It was clear that she was feeling down with that, especially because she was going to be leaving in a week.

This war is ruining so many things for all of us, it is completely unfair. But this is our reality, and I'm sure if we all play our part in it, it will end faster. Because all I can think of is returning home to my Harry and live happily ever after with him. No more deaths, no more fighting, just us living peacefully until we are old and grey. That's my dream right now. And I will do everything to make it happen very soon.

After I finish changing into my regular clothes and put on my shoes I make my way to my dormitory. I want to start packing today because I want to make sure I have all my days free for the rest of the week. Not only I am planning on spending them with Harry, but I also want to meet up with my younger siblings. I haven't seen them in months now, and I don't know how my parents will allow me to visit them, especially after our last encounter. But I miss them so much, and I don't want to leave without saying goodbye to them. So I wrote my mother a letter telling her that I was going to leave on Tuesday and if she could arrange a meeting in secret, because my dad couldn't find out.

Now all I had to do is wait for her response, and if there is none it is because I cannot see Lilian or Peter before I leave, which breaks my heart. God knows what my parents have told them about me. The last thing I want is for them to think that their older sister doesn't care about them, because I do. I know how much they suffered from Andrew's death, and I will not let them suffer for me as well.