Epilogue

Grace

June 1950

"You can have a piece of cake, but don't tell your mama I gave you." I hear my husband's voice whispering to our daughter in hopes I wouldn't hear him offering a piece of the sponge cake I spent the whole morning making.

"Darling you know I can hear you, right?" I place a hand on my hip as I look to Harry and our daughter with a serious expression. However, it doesn't last for long as I simply smile at their adorable faces.

It is Lizzie's fifth birthday today, if she wants to eat her body weight in cake, why not?

Five years have passed since the end of the war, and it still feels like it was yesterday. The war might be over, but we will forever remember those days. Thankfully, I'm glad we brought our children into a peaceful world, I only hope they can grow happily not having to go through the horrors Harry and I did.

"Mama is Uncle Ben coming to the party?" Our beautiful daughter asks with her mouth full of the sponge cake I baked this morning. It was rare the occasion we could have cake, rationing continued for a long time here but slowly, we are getting back to normal.

"He should be here any minute now." We were going to throw her a small birthday party for our family and friends, nothing too special but we wanted her to have a good time.

Harry and I had built our cosy home four years ago, after staying in his mom's house for a full year after Lizzy was born. It was a lovely house not very far from where Alice lives, which means she is able to see her granddaughter many times. Both Harry and I have found jobs, which has raised a few suspicious stares among our neighbours as to why I don't stay home taking care of my children.

I always told Harry how I did not want to stay home simply taking care of my children. I have worked hard to become a nurse, and I have learned so much during the war, it would be a waste if I simply sat at home looking after my children. Lizzie is happy, so I am happy with the decision we have made, and obviously Harry supported all of my decisions. 

I work as a nurse in a small clinic in downtown, doing eight hour shifts four times a week. I want to be able to balance both my work and my personal life, and I think I've been doing a good job. Harry still receives his pension for being a war hero, but he found a job as a mechanic on the same place he worked as a young boy. The only difference is that he is much better paid now.

He gave up his job in the army right after he came back. As much as he enjoyed serving his country, he wanted to be there for his family as well, and his family is the most important thing to him.

Harry and I might never had the chance to travel the world, and we might not have the seven children he wanted so much, but we are very happy. I never imagined one could have such a happy live like we have.

"I think Grandma just arrived!" Little Lizzie bursts out of the kitchen and a few seconds later I hear the front door opening and I see my girl running barefoot through the front yard to hug her grandmother who arrived with Charlotte and Theresa.

My girl is so spoiled by them.

"She is really happy." Harry sighs, placing his arms around my waist as I finish placing some ham and cheese finger sandwiches in a plate for the guests. It was a lovely summer day outside, and we were throwing the small party in our garden, it was big enough to fit all the guests.

"She is." I turn my head around to peck his lips as his hands move to my small bump.

Yes, baby number two is on its way and we are thrilled about it. Lizzie couldn't stop talking about how she wanted a baby sister so she could dress her up. I can only imagine her disappointment if it turns out a boy.