07 ; jealous

okay, so there's an explanation as to why i haven't updated at the end of the chapter. all you need to know right now is that when the chapter is written in italics it's a flashback. i couldn't find a way to write this episode differently. also, your scena ships might hit a few bumps while your lisaac ships (if you're into that) may take a turn for the better if you're for them. (you're v. welcome cara).

= FLASHBACKS

CHAPTER SEVEN
JEALOUS

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Death, to one Scott McCall, wasn't an unusual experience. Ever since he was bitten, death seemed to coincide with the double life. He had watched people die - but those people were just people. They hadn't meant anything to Scott - beside the fact that they were innocent.

This was different; this was Derek Hale. The man had been (maybe not exactly directly - but still) by Scott's side since Scott's sophomore year. And now - now Derek was dead.

And Scott did nothing to save him.

"Yo, Scotty." Stiles snapped his fingers. Scott rejoined the rest of the student body, though he wished he hadn't, "Hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry." His sickly werewolf fried answered bitterly. Scott blinked a few times, almost missing Lena's worried gaze from across the aisle. Almost. "Uh, what's the word?"

"Anachronism." Stiles repeated (for the fourth time, if he were to be exact).

"Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott mumbled.

"Nice." Stiles hummed his approval. "Okay, next word; incongruous."

"Um, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked; not bothering to pay attention to the vocabulary review. He had better (well, worse) things to think about. For God's sakes, he was bleeding out on the seat!

"I can," Lena spoke up. "It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way - might I add - to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened; incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott murmured. He didn't bother to look in Lena's direction, knowing that she would look worried; and if she looked worried about him, of all people, he might just snap.

"Perfect. Okay, next word." Stiles nodded, though his attempts to diffuse the tension between the Oni and werewolf were weak. "Um, Darach. Darach - it's a noun." Scott didn't reply, but stared down his friend with a glare stronger than words. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours. So why not?" Stiles pleaded. After a few moments of silence, Stiles relented, "Next word - intransigent."

"Stubborn, obstinate -" Scott's words died on his lips as the bus took a rather sharp dip into one of the many potholes that littered the roads. He grunted in pain, and Lena couldn't bear to watch him in pain for any moment more. So, rather clumsily, Lena climbed over Stiles and wedged herself between the two boys.

"Scott?" Lena pleaded. Scott looked down at his lap, and Lena narrowed her eyes. He'd been acting weird around her - ever since the day before. Lena guessed it had something to do with Allison, which, if she lied to herself, she was completely okay with.

"We shouldn't have come." Stiles decided, Lena nodded along. "I knew it - we shouldn't have come."

"We had to." Scott dismissed, "There's safety in numbers."