05 | LIGHTNING BUGS

CHAPTER FIVE LIGHTNING BUGS

CHAPTER FIVE
LIGHTNING BUGS

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

"Stiles...I," Lena was finding it hard to talk. For starters, she didn't exactly know what to say. Obvoiusly these two knew about the supernatural, there was no point in trying to hide it. But at that particular moment, she was just afraid to see how Scott would react. But then again, Lena didn't know that Scott had his own demons.

"What? What are you?" Stiles demanded. He crossed his arms over his chest, watching intently as Lena wiped a streak of the black blood from her lips. She looked down at her shirt in disgust, her eyes then flitting to Peter with a scowl.

"She's an Oni," Peter drawled. "A japanese spirit. Techinally, she's not supposed to be human." He let out a long whistle. "She's dead as dust. Which is what the others form from, by the way - dust, I mean. So, Lena? How many are with you? Is it the same seven?"

"Yes," Lena growled, her jaw tightening. "But I'm not like them. I've never killed anyone. I'm on your side."

"Not his side," Stiles corrected. "No one's on his side. You're on my side, on Scott's side." Lena seemed to relax with the meer mention of Scott's name. There was a long pause, an awkward silence followed that. Until noise began to flood Lena's head. Sounds that resembled whispering voises, and one leader hushing the others. Lena groaned, startling Stiles, but Peter didn't flinch. The Oni were leaving - sneaking out, and they'd be in the form of fireflies tonight, she could tell.

"I - I have to go," Lena decided, wiping her mouth once more before hurrying to the large sliding door. Neither Stiles nor Peter protested, but let the girl run to collect her 'family.' If Lena had a choice, she'd be in her room singing along to Avril whilst painting her nails. But Lena didn't have a choice, and if she did, the Oni most likely wouldn't give two shits about it.

This was exactly why Lena was driving around the Beacon Hills Preserve at five-past-midnight, holding a jar in one hand while she steered with the other. She was beyond irrirated, the Oni were becoming more pest-like by the days. And now - now she had to walk around the woods in the middle of the night, to get every last damn firefly into her jar. And frankly, she was pondering over what would happen if she accidentally forgot to poke holes in the lid. Lena's blood-coated lips twisted into a smirk as the first few fireflies caught her attention. So, stalking over to them, Lena and the Oni began their game of cat and mice.

Across the preserve, Scott McCall, Derek Hale, and Isaac Lahey were catching their breath after just tussling with Cora Hale and Vernon Boyd. None of the werewovles wanted to admit that their plan was going horridly, and none wanted to admit that this was over their heads.

"This doesn't make any sense." Derek bounced his leg impatiently. "The public pool is all the way on the other side of the woods. We haven't tracked them anywhere near there."