Chapter 17

17.  CHOICES

It seemed like forever before a knock resounded on my door.

"Just a minute." I swiped at my cheek and struggled to my feet, my movement sluggish and automatic, like a robot. I went to the bathroom and splashed water on my face. My eyes were red. One look at me and anyone would know I'd been crying.

"Pumpkin, Eirik's downstairs," Dad said from the other side of my door.

I didn't really want to go, but if I stayed, I'd have to explain why to my parents, especially Dad. I'd never been able to hide anything from him. Then there was Eirik. He and I might have a special relationship, but he deserved more. I had to break things off with him. Tonight. He was a wonderful guy who deserved a girl who was crazy about him. I wasn't that girl.

"Raine?"

"I'll be out in a second, Dad," I called.

I changed my shirt, brushed my hair, and put on sunglasses. Downstairs, Dad studied my face and frowned. Please, don't ask me what's wrong. If he did, I'd start crying again.

"Love you, Dad. So happy you're home." I gave him another tight squeeze, kissed Mom, then joined Eirik. We ran to the Jeep. It was raining, typical fall weather in Oregon.

"It's great to have your dad home, isn't it?" Eirik said instead of starting the engine.

"Yeah. It's a miracle." My voice shook.

Eirik lifted the sunglasses from my nose. "You don't have to hide behind the sunglasses, Raine. I know you've been crying. I also choked up when I saw him."

I laughed, faking amusement. But having Eirik believe I'd been crying because my father had returned was a relief. I took the glasses from his hand and threw them on the tray between our seats. "Okay, let's go. Warm ups will start in," he checked his watch, "five minutes."

He started the engine and took off.

I didn't bother to glance at Torin's house as we drove by. He was gone. It didn't matter how much it hurt, I had to learn to live with the fact that he was gone and was never coming back. Tears filled my eyes again. Eirik reached for my hand and squeezed it.

***

We parked behind Draper Building, which housed Walkersville University's pool, racquetball courts, indoor basketball and tennis courts, and the gym. College students were everywhere. Inside the building, I headed to the balcony while Eirik disappeared in the boys' locker room.

Since this was an intrasquad meet, the bleachers were empty except for the girlfriends and boyfriends of some of the swimmers. I ignored them and moved to the lower row of seats. Some of the swimmers were in the pool, warming up. Others had towels around their waists or shoulders and were busy talking. I spied Cora. She was in the pool and hadn't seen me yet.

I pulled out my phone and headphones. Right in the middle of checking my music playlist, I felt the telltale prickly feeling on the back of my neck. Someone was watching me. I turned my head, checking my right then left. My eyes widened when I saw Andris and Ingrid.

What were they doing here? Was Torin around, too?

I searched past the few students seated behind me to the top of the bleachers. My stomach dropped. Marj, Catie, and Jeannette stared at me with unreadable expressions. Norns and Valkyries in one place meant bad news, but I didn't care anymore. Marj and her friends had turned down my deal and taken Torin, so let them do their worst. In fact, they could all go rot in hell. The real hell with eternal suffering and Lucifer, not theirs run by some goddess living in a fancy-shmancy hall.