Chapter 3

3.  RUNES

“Happy birthday,” Cora sang when I opened the door.

“It’s almost noon,” I griped.

“I know. Sorry.” She hugged me. “How does it feel to be seventeen?”

“The same way I felt yesterday,” I said. My eyes met Eirik’s. He stood behind her with a gift box tucked under his arm, his Nikon in his hand, and a sheepish grin on his face. “Is that for me?”

He lifted it out of my reach. “Yes, but you can open it later. Where’s your T-shirt of Shame?”

I slipped out of Cora’s hug and pointed at the front of my T-shirt. “Right here.”

Eirik peered at the writing. “Are you kidding me? What language is that?”

“Latin.” I grinned.

Cora read the writing and laughed. “Good one, Raine. I knew you’d find a way around it. It was a ridiculous idea to begin with.”

“Why? Because you weren’t qualified to participate?” Eirik asked, smirking. He gave me a hug. “Happy birthday.”

“Just so you know, we’re late because of him.” Cora pointed at Eirik.

Eirik crossed his arms. “How is it my fault?”

Cora glared at him, then focused on me. “You know my parents took my keys, right? I didn’t have a ride and made the mistake of calling him. He mumbled something and hung up on me.”

“I did not,” he protested. “The phone fell and before I could call her back, she called and started yelling. She sounded like a crazy person, so I turned off my phone. When I got to her place, she took forever to get dressed.” 

“I so loathe you, Eirik Seville,” Cora ground out.

Eirik smirked. “You so adore me, Cora Jemison. You’re just pissed I got Raine a present and you didn’t,” he said the last word in a sing-song. “So, what’s the plan, Raine?”

I sighed. I hated it when they fought. It was senseless.

“We’re going to the mall for her present,’ Cora answered before I could. She looped her arm through mine and pulled me away from Eirik. “I’m tired of buying you books. Every time I get you something else, you gush, and I never see it again. And he refused to tell me what he bought you.” She glared at Eirik.

“Because it’s none of your business,” Eirik retorted, going toward the kitchen. The kitchen was his favorite place in my house.

“Did you hear something, Raine? I thought I heard a buzzing sound.” Cora dragged me toward the stairs. “Why don’t you change, so we can leave?”

I glanced down at my T-shirt and sweat pants. “What’s wrong with my clothes?”

“Everything. It’s your birthday. Spruce up a little. Even Pretty Boy,” she waved toward Eirik, “dressed up for the occasion.”

“I heard that, Smarty Mouth,” Eirik called out, his head inside the fridge as he searched for leftovers.

“Dressed up” meant Eirik wore a dress shirt instead of his usual threadbare T-shirts. His trademark black canvas and trendy, ripped jeans were the same. I stopped, forcing Cora to stop, too.

“We’re going to have a little chat.” I gripped her arm and led her to the kitchen, where Eirik was selecting a large, shiny apple. He rubbed it on his shirt. “You too, mister. Focus on me.” They stared at me expectantly. “It’s my birthday, and I won’t put up with your crap. No snarky remarks for the rest of the day. Get it? You two will be nice to each other if it kills you.”