Chapter 13

13.  AN OBSESSION

Kate’s wake and funeral service were beautiful. Not that a funeral could ever be deemed a thing of beauty, but her family made it memorable. There were flowers inside and outside the church, colorful balloons, teddy bears, and swim-themed stuff placed near the entrance. A photo montage cycled on the video screens as soft religious tunes played over the speakers. Photos and a photo board were also set up next to Kate’s coffin at the front of the room. The turnout was huge, which made me dread my turn at the podium even more.

The pastor spoke first, followed by various relatives and friends. Doc gave a beautiful eulogy. By the time he was done, there was not a single dry eye. My turn arrived too soon.

Taking a deep breath, I walked to the front.

For one brief moment, everything I had rehearsed flew right out of my head as I studied the audience. What had I gotten myself into? I glanced at the cards in my hand. They had talking points, but I couldn’t focus on a single one. Panicking, I glanced at Eirik. He nodded encouragingly. Cora gave me two thumbs up.

As though on cue, Torin entered the church. He leaned against the back wall and crossed his arms. I hadn’t expected him to attend the funeral even though I’d seen Jess and her friends on the bus. As usual, my heart skipped. He smiled, and the weirdest thing happened. I felt a boost of confidence, like I could conquer the world. The smile didn’t just have the ability to make me weak in the knees. It said he believed in me.

Exhaling, I glanced at the top card. “First, I’d like to offer my condolences to the Hunsaker family,” I read. “It’s not easy losing someone you love. Kate and I first met in junior high when we swam for the Kayville Dolphins. Two years later, we both made varsity as freshmen.” I frowned, hating the way my speech sounded stiff and rehearsed.

I flipped the cards upside down and pushed them aside, then focused my attention somewhere above everyone’s heads—the golden rule of public speaking. Or imagining everyone naked, which would be iffy since Kate’s grandparents were seated right in front of me. Without intending to, my eyes locked with Torin’s.

“I had an entire speech rehearsed and written down, but I’ve decided it’s not good enough. Rehearsed speeches are boring, something Kate wasn’t. Kate was full of surprises. She was the glue that held the swim team together even though some of us didn’t know it.” Warming up to the subject and becoming less nervous, I made eye contact with Kate’s grandparents and talked to them. “You see, in any sport, there’s something the teammates do that makes everyone feel special and part of the group, makes new members feel welcome. We give each other nicknames. We put these special names on kickboards and jackets, flippers and trophies. Parents don’t hear anyone scream their daughters’ and sons’ name at meets. Instead you hear Condor and Slinky, Houdini and Sparkplug…”

Chuckles came from the students. I glanced at them.