Chapter 16

16.  A SURPRISE

How could she not remember Torin? I glanced at Marj and her Norn buddies. Their expressions were watchful as though daring me to confess.

“Toe ring,” I improvised and shrugged when Cora gave me a you’ve-got-to-be-kidding look. “It was special. They came to the hospital when I was sick and stole everything from me.”

I didn’t know whether I convinced them or not, but I couldn’t eat after that. I munched on an apple without tasting it. What was I thinking challenging Norns? Especially after Andris had told me no one got away with it. I was tempted to glance over my shoulder at their table to see what they were doing. Since I didn’t dare, I forced myself to listen to Cora whine about the meet with our archrivals, Jesuit High and Lake Oswego. Would the Norns strike then?

“With our luck, we’ll lose and be thoroughly humiliated,” she said.

Eirik didn’t say much, but he kept glancing at me. I could tell he was worried.

“So what was that about a toe ring? I’ve never seen you wear one before,” he said as he walked me to my next class.

I tried to smile and act nonchalant even though he’d probably see through my lie, which meant I had to distract him. “Dad bought it for my birthday and left it with Mom. Did the cops ever find the person behind the blackout at L.A. Connection?”

Eirik shook his head. “No. The investigation hit a dead end.”

“Do you remember how people got out of the club?”

“Someone broke down the doors. The bouncers or cops, I don’t remember.”

Torin had saved them, I wanted to remind him. Andris hadn’t lied. The Norns had wiped everyone’s memories. “When I hurt myself last weekend, were we hanging out at my house?”

“No, my old house. It was a dumb idea to have party there to begin with. Why are you asking me all these questions? You still don’t remember?”

I shook my head. “No, but I keep hoping.”

Outside my next class, Eirik tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear, the gesture so Torin’s that my heart squeezed. “Listen, the editorial team is meeting after school,” he said, “but I’ll only stay for about five minutes, so wait for me.”

“Okay. Think you can give me a ride to the pool, too? I want to watch the Gold and Crimson showdown.”

“Sure.” He bent down, kissed me gently on the lips, and took off. I stared after him and sighed. Part of me wanted to finish things with him, but part of me was reluctant to let him go. I needed him now more than ever. Maybe Andris had been right. Maybe I was holding on to Eirik and his love for me in case Torin didn’t come back. What did that make me? Selfish?