Chapter 14

14.  MEMORIES

Why wasn’t I self-healing? My head pounded, and my lungs hurt, each breath sending needles of white-hot pain through me. Arms cradled me close, and gentle fingers pushed hair away from my face. I recognized Torin’s familiar scent, his voice. He was talking, but a ringing in my ears made it impossible to hear him properly. I only caught the tail end of his sentence.

“…be okay,” Torin vowed.

“No, she won’t. Heal her… start the transformation… together forever and...” Andris’ voice ebbed, but I didn’t mistake his words. Forever with Torin sounded great.

“No,” Torin snapped.

“Why deny yourself…” I didn’t hear the rest of Andris’ words. The ringing in my ears grew louder and louder. Then suddenly it stopped.

“It doesn’t matter what I need,” Torin ground out, his voice clear. “It’s about what she wants. The last time I healed her, she hated it. I won’t do that to her again.”

“You’re a fool. If you can’t heal her, then let her die,” Andris said. “At least then you can—”

“Damn it, Andris,” Torin swore. “Don’t you get it? I gave her my word. I won’t let her become like us.”

I opened my mouth to tell him I didn’t care as long as we were together, but Andris interrupted. “This is no time to develop a conscience,” he said.

“Go. Find Maliina and stay with her. I’ll deal with her later.”

“Heal me, Torin,” I whispered, my words slurred, my breathing shallow. A weird pressure started on my temple, but my eyes sought his.

He stroked my temple and shook his head. “No, Freckles. You can’t make a decision like that now. We’ll talk later.”

“It hurts. Make the pain go away,” I begged.

“I can’t,” he whispered achingly, before pressing a kiss on my forehead. “Don’t try to move. Help’s on its way.”

“Why can’t I self-heal?”

“Your injuries are too extensive.” His voice dropped to an anguished whisper. “You need new healing runes.”

“Do it. Rune me. Please.”

“Don’t ask me to do this. I can’t sentence you to a life like mine unless you know everything, yet I can’t tell you much because I’m bound by an oath.”

“I don’t care what you are. I trust you. Please…” Pain speared across my skull, and my vision blurred. There was pounding all around me like running footsteps. It grew louder and louder, making the pressure in my head worse. “My head. Make it stop.”

“What happened?” Eirik demanded, his voice echoing eerily.

“She was climbing the tree and fell,” Torin said.

“Did you call 9-1-1?” Eirik dropped beside me.

“What do you think?” Torin snapped.

“That you might have healed her again,” Eirik snarled.

How did Eirik know about Torin? I struggled to keep my eyes open. “How…?”

“Don’t talk,” Eirik said softly. “I’m here now.”

“Is she okay?” Cora knelt near my feet. “Where does it hurt?”

“My chest.” My eyes sought Torin’s, hoping he’d take the pain away. He shook his head. My vision grew hazy again. I blinked to clear it, my eyes clinging to his. There was so much pain and despair in his eyes. Part of me was angry with him for refusing to help me while the other just wanted him to hold me. Then there was Eirik. He knew about Torin healing me and never said anything. The shrill sound of an ambulance pierced the air, adding to the ringing in my ears.