Chapter 10

It's now the second day of the games and all of Panem seems to buzz with excitement. Every district is rooting for their own tributes. I know I am. For the rest of the Games, we will watch the recap of the day on our own televisions at home. The first day was a special thing that we gathered in the Square to watch. I could barely sleep last night. All I thought about was Katniss. I really did believe that she had a good chance of winning. 

           Tonight the Hawthornes are coming over to our house to watch the recap of the day. I could hardly focus on the daily tasks. I was milking Lady this morning, thinking about Katniss, and I almost overflowed the bucket of milk. While taking the bucket inside, I nearly tripped over Buttercup! I shook my head and continued with the rest of the chores. 

             It's now dinnertime. The Hawthornes will be here afterward. I help Mom in the kitchen, preparing a nice stew of squirrel and herbs that Gale found in the woods. I looked up at her while she was chopping the plants, and she seemed to be daydreaming the way I had been doing all day. 

           "Mom?" I asked, bringing her out of her stupor. 

          "Hm?" she replied. 

          "Don't cut yourself." 

           "Mhm." 

            We finished preparing the food in silence after that. 

            When had just finished our food, when we heard a knock at the door. 

            "I'll get it," I offered. I swiftly ran to the front door and opened it. There stood all the Hawthorns. "Come in," I said, with a sweep of my arm. 

             "Thank you," replied Hazelle. We all gathered on the rickety old couch to watch the recap of the second day. We turned on the TV. We were just in time, too. The program was just beginning. It started with this morning, with the tributes looking tired from what I assume was a mostly sleepless night. The camera changed to show Katniss stretching, while belted into a tree. I smiled. She always knows the best ways to survive in a forest. Even if that means belting yourself to a tree for the night. We watched the rest of the highlights of today. The camera showed Katniss shooting a squirrel, then cooking it over a fire. Some of the other tributes were killed today, most of them at the hands of the Careers. 

             After it was done, the TV showed the seal of Panem, then it went dark. 

            That night, I had the same feeling I had last night. The proud and relieved feeling. Maybe my sister could actually win this thing.