6 « Getaway Car »

"All right, pal, you need to start talking right now," Tom said as the car passed the Green Hills sign. He had no idea where he was driving to, but somehow escaping via Route 9 seemed like the correct way to go. "Who are you?" Tom continued but then realized the more obvious question and asked, "What are you?"

"I'm a hedgehog! I feel like that's obvious," the hedgehog answered confused as to why someone would ask such a question. He then lowered his gaze as he continued, "And I'm in big trouble."

"Oh, you're in big trouble? You're not the one who punched some sort of government weirdo back there," Tom responded.

"You think you have problems? I lost my rings," Sonic said back.

"Rings? What are you talking about?" Tom questioned.

"What do rings have to do with anything?" Y/N asked, and Sonic turned to look at her dumbfounded before remembering that humans didn't know about all that.

"Okay, rings are how all advanced cultures travel between worlds," Sonic explained looking between both of them. "And now mine are on top of a pointy building I've only ever seen on your skintight T-shirt."

"Hey," Tom said turning to Sonic, but didn't know what to say. Y/N snickered in the backseat and Tom threw a glare her way.

"So, I'd like you to take me to San Francisco, so I can get back my rings and use them to get to the mushroom planet," Sonic continued.

Tom turned his gaze back to the road and looked around, "Mushroom planet."

"Yes!"

"Right," Tom said and pulled the car over on the side of the road. He reached over to the door on Sonic's side and opened it, "Okay, pal, out you go."

Sonic turned to him confused, "I'm sorry, what?"

"Look, this is the worst possible time for me to get myself into trouble, okay?" Tom explained as Sonic glanced at the girl in the backseat. She was looking at Tom with her mouth wide open, clearly not believing what she was hearing. "You asked me to save your life, I saved your life. Now, please, go find your rings. And your mushroom land. Hopefully I'm gonna wake up in a hospital bed and the doctor's gonna tell me that my colonoscopy was a big success, okay? So goodbye."

"Okay. Goodbye," Sonic said sadly and climbed out of the vehicle. Just when he had finally talked with someone he was already being thrown out.

"Goodbye," Tom said and stared at the creature who was staring back at him without any intensions of leaving. "Why aren't you leaving?"

"I don't know where San Francisco is," the hedgehog explained frustrated.

"It's west."

"West?" Sonic questioned.

"Straight shot, can't miss it," Tom responded as Y/N furrowed her eyebrows before turning back to Sonic.

"Fine. That's cool. I'm totally cool saying goodbye now," Sonic said and then sped off disappearing into the horizon leaving behind only a trail of dust.

Y/N and Tom turned to each other and then turned back to where the hedgehog had just been. "It's more of southwest I'd say," the girl commented, and hee father opened his mouth to reply something but quickly closed its as they saw the blue streak returning.

Sonic stopped in the same spot he had seconds ago stood on, only now he was wet, covered with seaweed and had a fish on top of his head. "So, as I crashed into the cold, dark water of the Pacific, I realized a few things," he said, "A, I have no idea where I'm going. B, saltwater stings. C, I shouldn't even be on this planet right now, but I am. Why? Because you shot me!"