Chapter 8: The Truth Uncovered

This one is super long too... Lia is going to find out the truth! What will she do?

****************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 8: The Truth Uncovered

Xavier POV

“I don’t think this is a good idea Ronan.” I announced with chagrin. This would not have gone the way we wanted it to, I could have guaranteed it.

“Well, I don’t see how we have a choice in the matter X. It’s not like I can lie to her and we’ve kept this from her for long enough.” He explained, pleaded his argument. He was resigned to have told her the truth, but truth sometimes hurt more than lies.

“Why is it that you can’t lie to her? I mean, you lie to everyone else.” I inquired. I was serious but I raised my eyebrows and feigned amusement. Surely this had not been the best timing to come clean. Tomorrow was her birthday and I hadn’t wanted to ruin it for her.

“I don’t have an answer for that. It was the same way with Aria. Maybe it’s because they are so much alike. She would have wanted her to know the truth X.” He offered an explanation but it was one I hadn’t cared to hear about. He moved on with his bimbos and whores while I remained in the same place.

I was stuck in a life without meaning. I was caged in an eternity without love.

“They’re not that much alike.” I defended. This topic had really gotten under my skin. I had not relished the thought of discussing her, it was far too painful.

“Are you blind? They are exactly alike.” He scowled at me but I had no time for this bickering. My head was filled with worry and my heart was an empty chasm. It was like I had two hearts. That was how I thought of it. The day she died, my heart was severed in two.

There was Lia’s heart which swelled with pride and love. It was encapsulated with elation. It was alive with my warmth and affection for her. Then, there was Aria’s heart which burned with eternal pain and longing. It would never be healed. It was cold and dead.

“I don’t want to talk about her Ronan.” I scowled at my brother, the man who had my back for the last 15 years, the man who supported me and helped in raising Lia, and the man who loved Aria as much as I had. But he had moved on and that was something I could have only dreamed of. In truth, I was a little envious that he could have let Arianna go so easily. I knew I never could have.

“Come on X, it’s been 15 years. She’s dead. When are you going to let it go and move on a bit?” That was harsh. He had always been so understanding. When had it turned into resentment?

“I don’t need to parade my conquests around to prove that I am over her.” I stated pointedly. He defamed her memory with his distasteful actions.

“I never said I was over her, but I have learned to continue living. Besides, a man has needs and 15 years is a long time to go without sex.” He smirked. He was such a man-whore, much worse than he had ever been in the past.

“I’m not going to do this with you right now Ronan. We need to focus on Lia.” She was our main concern. Her exterior may have been tough, but she was fragile on the inside, just like her mother.

“Ezra knows her best and he seems to think we should tell her. I tend to agree.” He shrugged then settled comfortably on the sofa. Had I agreed as well? I hadn’t decided. Was honesty always best? Look at the damage lies had done. Certainly a small dose of honesty couldn’t have hurt that badly.

“Fine, we’ll tell her that we are both her father but leave out all the rest. She doesn’t need to know the gory details.” I submitted my plan for approval. We wouldn’t have revealed too much, but just enough to have kept her mind occupied and given her some answers.