* . | Steven Universe; Gem

- corpse of an old friend

5.2.20

     It had been 3 months and 15 days since Steven's death. Three months since your world took a turn for the worst, and 3 months since the remains of him followed you around everywhere you went.

You were still grieving but the gem that used to reside in him didn't seem to understand the concept of 'personal space' whenever you asked for it.

"Hey don't touch that!" Quickly snatching the framed photo you had on your desk you held it tightly to your chest and frowned.

"Me." His voice remained monotone. The way he voiced his thoughts without needing to think about them first always managed to catch you off guard just as it did now.

Looking between the picture and then back towards his Gem, you shook her head.

"No, that's not you. Well technically it WAS you but it isn't you now. . ." Your voice had trailed off towards the end, your gaze diverting itself back towards the photo in your hands longingly.

"That is me. I'm Steven." As much as you wanted that to be true you knew it wasn't. For this version of him didn't show an ounce of resemblance compared to the real deal. Other than the appearance, even that was drastically different with his Gem always glowing pink.

His eyes showing the same emotion 24/7 as he never needed to sleep or perform any basic human functions like Steven had to.

But then again, Steven is dead. And this is for sure not the Steven you knew and loved.

"Even if that's somewhat true, what do I call you?" She still hadn't figured out what she wanted to call his gem. Calling him Steven's name felt wrong on so many levels.

"Steven." Of course he would say that, he's said that all the other times you asked him as well.

"I don't feel comfortable calling you that if I'm honest. What about Pink? No, that was the name of his mom that might be weird." Pulling out a small notepad you kept on you incase you needed to write something down, you began to flip through the filled pages all up until you made it to the one highlighted in pink.

"Let's see. . ." Clicking your tongue you motioned for Steven's gem to come forward and he complied with ease.

Another thing that you jotted down in your notes about his Gem is that whenever it came to you, he would listen to your every command. Almost as if you had a sense of control over him.