Five

Katie took a seat at a desk towards the back of the class room. Today was their first defence against the dark arts lesson with the new teacher, she was unsure what to think of it as the previous teachers they had didn't turn out so good. All the decent teachers ended up quitting as the position seemed like it was cursed.

"Hey Katie." Fred grinned as he ruffled her hair, the twins taking a seat either side of her.

Katie shooed him off her as she took out her copy of The dark forces: a guide to self protection.

"Well? Are you excited for the lesson?" George asked.

"Why would I be anymore excited than normal?" Katie questioned.

"Maybe because this teacher's an auror, you know he's actually had experience with this sort of stuff." Fred replied.

"Yes, maybe you two can actually be forced to learn something this time." Katie grinned, nudging them.

Their conversation was soon cut off as she heard the distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor and into the room. Katie pulled a face at the twins, finding his appearance rather unsettling.

"You can put those away." He growled, stumbling over to his desk and sitting down. "Those books, you won't need them."

She looked over at Fred and George's faces, grinning excitedly as if they just won the lottery.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a more practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are."

He looked around the room before his gaze drifted to Katie. "You." He pointed at her.

"Th-three sir," Katie muttered, finding herself rather intimidated by this man.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they're unforgivable."

"Yes. The use of these curses will give you a one way ticket to Azkaban." He said while writing on the chalk board. "The Ministry says you're too young to learn about this, I say different. You need to know what you're up against! You need to learn not to distract another student Mr Weasley!" Both the twins looked up, George being caught as he was trying to catch the attention of another class mate on the desk next to him. Moody threw the rubber across the room towards the gingers, ended up hitting Katie instead.

"Ow!" Katie yelled out, glaring across the room at the ex-auror.

George burst out laughing whilst Katie went red with embarrassment. "I don't look that much like a Weasley, do I?" She questioned, "I mean I'm not even ginger." She said to one of the twins sitting next to her, the class overheard her joke and laughed along.

"My mistake Miss Rosewood." Moody muttered before turning towards his desk.

"I bet it's just his aim, no way you look like one of us, you just don't look good enough" Fred joked.

"Weasley!" Moody boomed walking towards their desk.

Both the twins answered immediately, almost terrified of the thought of angering the ex-auror. Even Katie wanted to answer, finding herself rather intimidated by Professor Moody. Not sure if he did think she was a Weasley or not, even though it should be rather obvious.

"Well, only one of you will do, name a curse."

"The Imperius Curse?" Fred let out, knowing it was a curse his father spoke so much of.

"Yes, of course you would know that one. Giving the ministry loads of grief a while back, didn't it?" Moody asked as both the twins nodded along with wide eyes.

Moody walked over to the desk and took a spider out of one of the many jars of insects on his desk, greeting it happily.

He pointed his wand to it and muttered, "Imperio!"

Moody directed the massive spider around the room making it flip on a thread of silk. It landed it on a table cartwheeling round, moody jerked his wand and the spider started doing what seemed to be a tap dance.

The classroom erupted into laughter, even Katie chuckled a bit. Moody looked around the classroom, not finding it funny at all.

"Oh, you think it's funny do you?" He growled. "Would it still be funny if I did it to you?"

The laughter ceased immediately.

"Years ago, there was a lot of witches and wizards being controlled by the Imperius curse," said Moody. "Some job for the Minsistry, trying to sort out who was being forced to act, and who was acting of their own free will." He said whilst walking around the room, still making the spider dance around. "The Imperius Curse can be fought, and I will be teaching you how, but it takes real strength and not everyone has that. Better to avoid it if you ask me."

Moody picked up the still somersaulting spider and threw it into the jar. "Anyone else know one?" He questioned looking around the class room.

"The Cruciatus Curse?" Cormac Mclaggen let out.

"Yes, very good Mclaggen." Moody replied, taking another spider out of the jar before enlarging it.

Katie paled, realising that he most likely was going to perform this curse on the spider too. Sure, she wasn't fond of spiders but there was no way it deserved this.

Moody raised his wand again, pointing it towards the spider. "Crucio!"

As soon as the words left his lips, the spider withered in pain and collapsed in on itself. The whole class felt extremely uncomfortable, Katie edged away from the desk. Both the twins hadn't felt as uncomfortable but still felt bad and decided to comfort the shaking girl in between them.

"Stop!" Katie screamed out of no where, "please! Just stop hurting the poor thing!" She cried out, tears threatening to spill out.

Moody paused, "very well. I'll put it out of it's misery, tell me the final curse."

Fred and George looked at each other with guilty faces as they saw their friend look down with tears spilling down her face, considering they were so excited for this lesson. Katie stayed silent, shaking her head violently at the professors request.

"Very well." Moody paused before yelling out, "Avada Kedavra!"

The spider stopped struggling instantly and laid still on the desk. As the words of the killing curse filled her ears, Katie grabbed her stuff instantly and ran out of the classroom. Her classmates staring at her in shock as the Professor yelled at her to come back.

A/N

Hey guys, hope you liked the new chapter! Sorry it took over a month to upload but I hoped you enjoyed it.

Also if you haven't noticed I have changed the name and description of the book considering when I first published this story I didn't think much of the title and much rather this one.

I am also looking for a new cover! I would love if any of you guys would be willing to make me one and could possibly submit then? Message me if you're willing to!

Thank you and love you all!