第11集

- Riyang pov -

I collapsed after I'd spoken those words to Yixing, my eyes closing as my heart gave out. When I woke up, I assumed I'd made my way into either heaven or the afterlife by the way everything was so soft and bright.

"My love, you're awake." I turned and saw Yuan sitting beside my head, his hand gently holding mine as he looked at me with worry. "The doctors said that they might not be able to save you, but I didn't want to give up."

"Where, where am I?" I questioned, taking in a deep breath for the first time in what felt like a long time.

"Far away from the palace. We even held a memorial service in your name." He explained, making me look at him in confusion. "Fang Riyang is now dead, according to the public files. You are living in Jiayuguan, a good sixteen days travel from the capital, and you are residing under the name Lu Meihua."

"Why, why did you save me? Why couldn't I just die?" I asked, letting out a sob as I regained my memory.

"Because you are my wife. I will not let you go until I am ready to die. We shall die together, my love when we are fat and old and have plenty of grandchildren to spoil." He replied, earning my glance. He truly meant his words, and it hurt my heart to see him with so much honesty when I knew my heart belonged to his brother.

"You'll, you'll help me love you the way you love me?" I softly asked, making him smile and nod, happy that I was finally giving him a chance.

The way his lips curled into that smile made me want to love him. He deserved it, after all these years of ignoring him while he fell for me was harsh. I needed to repay him with my heart and soul.

The years passed and I fell in love with him. He never spoke of the past, and only focused on my health and happiness. We ended up having a son together, naming him Zhennan, and raising him with the best happiness a boy could receive.

I still thought of the past I had left behind, my sons and my little girl. It was hard to try to forget them, especially when Yuan still lived with them and continued to raise Feifei on his own, as I was doing with Zhennan. He told me not to worry, for they all have forgotten my existence.

All I wished for was to see my children be together once more.

Yixing POV

I received news that my brother was visiting someone outside of the Palace, sometimes for days at a time. This made me suspicious of him, and I prayed he was not planning a rebellion. I didn't care if it was a Mistress, though I would prefer he stay inside the palace walls for his own safety.

I decided to question him in it, but I saw he was already leaving before I could walk up to him. I glanced at my youngest brother, Xiaorui, and he nodded, silently accepting my quiet request.

I prayed for his safety as he hopped on his horse and fled, chasing after the carriage carrying our brother.

"Father, why does it concern you that he meets someone out of the palace?" I turned to see Xiaofu staring at me with a confused expression. I smiled and greeted him happily.

"Because, my son, if he is meeting with a man, it is to revolt, and it could mean our lives. And if he is meeting with a woman, it means he wants to hide her. This is suspicious since all women of the palace should reside in its walls." I explained, earning a nod of understanding.

"So we must wait on my brother's report." He replied solemnly, turning, and walking back towards his palace to greet his bride.

"Zongying, greetings my child," I said as she bowed respectfully to the two of us.

"Greetings to Your Highness, Your Majesty. I have come to inform you of the news you have been waiting for." She softly said, earning smiles from both Xiaofu and I.

"You are with child?" Xiaofu asked excitedly, sanding a nod and a smile from the girl as she started shaking, tears falling from her face as her husband embraced her.

"Let's pray it is a son so that you can carry the throne in my place when I get too old to do so," I told them, earning a bow from both of them before they left to go celebrate on their own.

I walked back to my palace, finding myself thinking about the love that had left me behind to join the stars above. I hoped she was alright up there, and enjoying herself as she waited for me to join her in the afterlife.

I let myself shed a tear, knowing she would be overjoyed to have a grandchild on the way, just as she was happy to see her sons grow into handsome and capable young men.

The days passed and I got more anxious as Xiaorui didn't return as quickly as I had expected him to do. I wondered if Yuan had discovered his presence and killed him, or if the winter snow had caught up to him and made it impossible to survive the night.

Just as a heavy storm lay waste to the grounds outside the palace, a door slammed open. I looked up to see a shivering Xiaorui running in, collapsing in front of me with fear in his eyes.

"What happened?" I asked, helping him up and to the fireplace. He panted, tired, and cold as the snow worsened.

"Ge, she, she's still alive." He whispered, earning a worrisome expression from me, as I could barely understand him with his shaking.

"What do you mean? Who's, who's still alive?" I questioned, making him turn to me with fear and pain written in his eyes.

"My mother."