第12集

Xiao Rui's POV

I kept my horse quiet as we trotted closer to the building that Yuan ge went into. After he dismissed his servants, I could hear the sounds of laughter and lovemaking, which made me almost vomit. Though pleasurable to most people, I found those sounds to be of something I never wanted.

Shaking my head to ignore my own thoughts, I tied my horse to the nearest tree and continued to sneak closer alone. I made it inside the house, but I stopped when I heard a creak behind me.

"Who are you?" I turn around and see a child, no more than five years old, sleepily staring at me.

"I, I work for the man in this room. I just need to tell him something." I quickly replied, making him tilt his head in confusion.

"Baba doesn't allow anyone in here when he's talking to Mama." The child explained, making me falter in my step.

"He's, he's your father?" I asked, earning a small nod. I let out a breath of frustration and opened the door to the room Yuan and his lover were in.

It was almost slow motion, the shock of my surprise awakening. I saw him flinch away, and I saw her eyes, the ones I grew up next to, look upon me with fear. He covered her, but it was too late, for I had already seen who it was.

My heart shattered, and I fled. I heard her calling after me, but I ignored it, getting on my horse and riding as far away as I could.

"It had to be a ghost," I whispered, crying as the horse sped down the forest trail. "It's impossible for him to have saved her."

I was still a few miles from the palace when my horse fell, screaming as it's leg snapped. I flew off of the saddle, wincing as my own limbs suddenly shot pain through my body. Ignoring my own pain, I drew my sword and ended the creature's pain, grabbing my bag off of its corpse and continuing to run home.

The snow began to come down harshly, but I couldn't just stop and lay down. I knew if I did that, I would only begin crying.

If it was just my imagination, I would be fine and be able to move on. If it wasn't, my heart wouldn't be able to take it. It would be as if she left us just to be free. A betrayal, something I just couldn't handle.

I fled to the only house I could seek comfort in, my brother opening the door immediately as I stumbled in, cold and broken.

Yuan POV

I ran after Xiao Rui as fast as possible, but I couldn't stop him as he stumbled out of the residence and fled to his horse. I returned inside and saw Zhennan sleepily staring at me with his mother holding him.

"What are we going to do?" She asked, her nerves getting the better of her. I kissed her forehead gently and took the tired child from her arms.

"We will discuss this in the morning. Rest will clear our minds." I softly answered, walking to put our son in his bed.

I retired to our room, laying down beside her as she shivered with fear. I kissed her gently, reminding her that I took her away from the palace, and I would never let her be dragged back in.

"I will return to talk with my brother. You and the child shall stay here." I told Riyang as the three of us ate breakfast. She nodded with understanding, the boy just eating since he didn't have the knowledge of his mother's past or my position.

When I got back to the palace, I went straight to Xiao Rui's residence, slamming his door and pushing him against a wall.

"Do you not know what you have done?" I asked, glaring at him as he stared blankly.

"I did my job for my king and my country. What you have done is a betrayal to the throne." He answered, earning a slap from me, which made him laugh. "I spent this entire time in the military, do you think a slap will scare me?"

"Would you like me to slit your throat?" I growled, pulling out a blade and placing it against his pale skin. He didn't even flinch, merely chuckling again.

"Would your wife be happy if you killed her son?" I faltered, letting him get the higher ground as he whipped his hands so fast I couldn't even process his actions as he flipped us over and held the knife to my own throat. "Or would she be sad that her son killed his brother?"

"Neither of you are going to die, for today at least." I looked past the young man threatening my life to see my older brother and his eldest son standing in the doorway, glares etched in both of their faces.

"Ge, what do you want? This is a matter between the two of us." I stated, smiling and laughing as they didn't budge.

"We know what Rui ge saw. He reported it immediately to the king. You must explain yourself, or face the consequences of rebelling against the crown." Xiaofu stated. I would almost be proud of how he grew up and how his speech had shown great improvement if he wasn't threatening my life.

"You will come to the court in an hour, I will give you time to clean yourself up," Yixing commanded, pulling his son and our brother out of the room.

I watched as a guard remained with me, a cold glare set upon his face. He remained by my side, not once leaving, even as I made my way to the court that would decide my fate. I wondered whether I should lie or if I should beg for his forgiveness and give in to whatever he desires me to do.

Only time would tell what I would end up deciding to do.