第3集

- Riyang pov -

I watched in shock as my younger son stood up to the emperor. The one I'd always thought to be shy and humble was now standing as if he was the only man on Earth, and was unwilling to back down to anyone.

After the young man nearly spat at the ruler, the old man just laughed, slapping his hand upon his throne.

"I will take your brother, young man, and I will raise him as the royal he is meant to be. You can be his servant if you like. I'll allow you to reside with him so as to not leave your side as you requested." He stated, making me let out a breath of relief.

"Will you free my mother as well?" Shuyang asked, earning a chuckle and a nod.

"From now on, she will no longer be a concubine for the public to use. She will solely be for the Royal Family. She will reside here alongside the other women and their children." The elder answered, making me want to run away.

The palace was generous, yes, but it was a deadly place to live, and even worse if one had a life like mine. If I was bound to be trapped in here, I knew I would not live a long and happy life.

"I want her to be free. Not just another wife for you or your sons to ignore for years on end." Shuyang stated, earning a gasp from some of the guards.

"How dare you raise your voice to the emperor. Do you want to die?" The closest one said, pulling his sword from its holster. I jumped in front of my son, glaring at the man before me.

"If you touch my son I will not hesitate to kill you," I told him, making him laugh.

"A woman like you? You can't do anything except please men like me." He growled, only stopping as the king held his hand up. The guard returned to his place and placed his sword back into the sheath.

"I admire your bravery, young lady. And to your son as well. I will allow you to live in the palace as a court lady. No one will touch you at all, until I change my mind on the matter." He announced, making his men bow and move to take me, Shuyang, and our belongings to our new house within the palace walls.

I cried as we were placed inside a building that was much more detailed and expensive than the one we had known. Shuyang looked to me with a face of confusion, unsure if I was happy or saddened by the new arrangements.

I ruffled his hair and hugged him tightly. I couldn't bear to lose him as well. I knew Mingrui would be raised as a strong man, but I feared for his life, knowing that princes had a habit of fighting for the throne and killing one another for a chance to sit on the seat they all crave.

- Yuan pov -

I walked over to where I heard the screaming. I saw my father laughing as a young boy stood in front of his beaten mother and brother with determination. I chuckled as he resembled my brother, knowing he didn't have any children that were that old.

I watched the scene unfold as he demanded a place for his mother that would be freeing from her position as a concubine. I truly didn't pay attention to his words until Father said the beaten boy would be raised as my younger sibling.

After the two were dragged away, I walked over into view and bowed to my father.

"I'm sorry, your majesty, but I couldn't help but overhear this conversation. This boy here," I paused to look at the weak boy who was still bruised and bloody, giving him a pitiful stare. "This boy is my brother?"

"Yes. He is your brother. Please raise him as such." He replied, making both me and the younger gulp with nervous anticipation.

I led him to my residence since he didn't have a room of his own yet. I smiled as my brother joined me, looking upon the child with confusion as I had.

"Xing Ge this is our little brother, Xiaorui," I said, making the elder show off his dimples as he smiled, greeting the young boy as if he'd known him his whole life.

"Xiaorui, nice to meet you. I'd heard Father had a Mistress somewhere. Good to know I have a second brother to care for." He softly said, holding out his hand as a greeting.

I let out a laugh as the boy shoved the hand away and pouted, crossing his arms and slamming himself to the floor in an outburst of anger.

"I don't care who either of you are. I want to see my mother and stay with her." He demanded, making Yixing and I laugh.

"I'm sure she'll be given permission to visit you eventually. For now, though, pretend my mother is yours. She will take care of you as if you were her son." I told him, earning a harsh glare I didn't know was possible on such a young and adorable child.

"I can see why the guard beat you, you have such a temper," Yixing said, making the younger flinch as I chuckled. "Don't worry, you don't have to fear that again now that you are known to be a prince. Anyone who touches you with evil intent will be put to death."

"I miss my brother." He pouted, trying to remain in a tough appearance as his tears slipped from his eyes. "We've never been apart. I need to see him."

"Tomorrow. You can see your brother and your other tomorrow. I'll help you greet them after you've had some rest to treat your wounds." I replied, ruffling his hair as he looked around sleepily. "Go to sleep, Mingrui. We'll see them tomorrow."

"I'll go with you. I want to see why his mother got so much attention from Father, enough to have the right to bear his child without anyone knowing about it until now." Yixing whispered so as to not wake the sleeping child. I nodded and smiled, hoping to see the woman in a better appearance than what was shown this morning.