Modelesque: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ah my feet ached. Like A G6 resonated throughout the entire building. I think it was Tammy's choice...Now it was almost mine. Pre-stage jitters. Argh why do they always come, they get me so nervous.

"Riley?"

Jesus Murphy, can't I think to myself and have my monologue in peace? Stupid question, there was no such thing as peace of mind in my world. I had always been given too many things to do at once, without so much as a few seconds to myself. Oh boy, here I go again - let's just zone back into reality...

After my little moment of insanity, I looked up and approached the stage. Here we go, just like we practiced. I moved swiftly, my pumps click-clacking on the floor. The man extended his hand to me as I climbed the steps and then I went past the curtains, ready for my time. The background music resonated to the song Andy had chosen for me, I grinned. This was my moment. I made my way to the cat walk and walked with my "attitude". I like my beats fast and my bass down low indeed. The cameras flashed as I strut forward, giving my best pout and spinning slowly to really model my lingerie. I loved it so much, I knew exactly what deserved to be accentuated. The winter themed bra with sparkling snowflakes all over and matching bottoms attached with white suspenders. I playfully lifted the suspenders with my mittens-clad hands while winking at the crowd - they cheered.

What can I say, my monologues might not be amazing, but I did know how to please a crowd. I channeled my inner Heidi Klum and posed with a seductive smile at the edge of the platform. The crowd cheered loudly, snapping away. I grinned as I turned around and passed Saydie on my way back, my fluffy furry hood boucing up and down, and my mini jacket keeping me warm - even though I hardly needed it. 

I finally got to the end and walked back down the steps.

"Truly amazing Riley, I picked a good song for you!" praised Andy. He really did pick the most perfect songs for all of us. Alicia was so jealous, Bass Down Low was her favourite too, but she was satisfied with her Katy Perry selection.

"It was all you Andy, you know how to really pick 'em" I said, as I bumped him with my hip. I pranced to the changing room where Lydia waited for me.

"Praises are for later" she said rushedly, "now I have to get you and a billion other girls ready for closing! You guys are way too happy, help me out a bit and cooperate with Jenny - and this time, dont shove her because she pulled out a hair!"

I smirked to myself, Jenny desperately needed a reality check. She thought we were all just dumb bimbos who loved to prance around in our underwear. She was wrong though, most people assume the worst with a simple judgement, but I tried not to care. I loved my job, being a Victoria Secret angel was the highlight in my very unfortunate life, but I'm not in the mood for that monologue now, no sir, it was my time to shine.

Jenny finished my hair, big bouncy golden brown curls with little hearts splattered all over. I smiled, "Good Job Jenny!" I was truly happy, as long as she wasn't cranky, Jenny did wonders on my hair.

This was it, the finale. All the girls rushed to the bottom of the stage, eager to walk the walk. Andy yelled out: "Ready girls?!"

We all exclaimed:  "YEAHHHH!"

He cued the song Who Dat Girl by Flo Rida and Akon and off we went. We all struted together, arms intertwined, pouting in our Valentine's Day outfits. I pranced after Saydie in my black lingerie, strung with red and white hearts all over. Perfect. We strutted and posed and laughed and danced, wings flapping everywhere. The show finale was enlightening, it made us feel like nothing in the world could let us down.

As the hearts and confetti shot out from the top of the blackness, I smiled and laughed. I relaxed and danced my worries away.

I was in utter bliss.

Thus we come to the morning after. Sore feet, large eye bags and a big mess to clean - just the usual. I scrambled from my bed, my sheets falling to the ground during the process. I frowned as I picked my bed spread up and folded everything neatly. How on Earth can someone make such a disturbing mess? It looks like a couple of teenagers had a party and left a huge mess behind. I wasn't surprised though, this was typical - I tend to leave a trail behind.

As I continued to rearrange furniture and put my belongings in their rightful place, I remembered what was so special about today - it was their death anniversary. I smiled to myself, has it really been 16 years since they lost their lives?

"Im sorry" I said aloud while looking at my picture frame. It contained a photo of both my parents smiling with a baby in their arms. "I miss you both, I love you mom, you too dad."

No one knows about it though, it's better that way. I chuckled at the thought of people pitying me. Someone in the world always had it worse that you did, so be thankful. That's what I'd learnt growing up in foster care. It was a terrible experience, foster parent after foster parent beating me, yelling at me, never looking at me. All they wanted was the government's money - the world is a very selfish place. I just coasted through life, with nothing to live for, doing as I do now. I, Riley Hunterton, always took care of myself.

The last misplaced pillow was finally placed on my bed - it felt good to be done. I looked at the clock - 10:12 am. Linda had told us we had to be at the studio for 11. Just a run of the mill congratulations, job well done, next goals, nothing worthy of my time. Today was important - but I needed to go. Andy was getting suspicious of my skipping meetings. It's not like I was missing anything. I didn't mind though, Andy was like a father to me, he was the one who found me and had given me the job, I owed him a lot. Suck it up, I thought, just go for Andy.

After a quick shower, I reached into my closet and got a black tank with some ripped boyish jean shorts. Wow, I really need to clean my closet too. There was a bark from inside, underneath a heap of sweaters. "There you are Shadow, have you been playing in my closet again?" I sighed as I took a look around, there was fur all over my sweaters. It could have been me for all I know. But I knew Shadow did it - my beautiful husky dog. He's always been with me, even throughout foster care. It was a hard battle to keep him, but I always insisted, he was my most important family - my only family left.

As shadow climbed out of the mess and approached me, I leaned down to give him a nice tussle. He quickly licked my face, showing me his appreciation. It felt nice to be loved.

I grinned, "Thanks beb!" I said to my dog. I slipped on the clothes, got a pair of black flip flops and sloppily arranged my golden brown hair in a messy braid. Whatever, it was just a meeting, nothing special. I grabbed my aviaters and my brown satchel and walked to the door. "Bye beb, I'll be back soon. Stay out of trouble!"

I walked down the stairs of my studio apartment and walked out into the bright streets of L.A

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Hey guys, this is just a short chapter of what I've been working on, with more to come. The story description is still pending, since I'm not exactly sure where I'm going yet, but there is going to be excitment, humor and romance! Comments are always appreciated, I hope you like it :)

-DD (lol lovin the sign off name)