Chapter 4

The impending doom of school was the first thing I felt in when I opened my eyes. I groaned, sat up and cracked my back and shuffled into the hallway, where I heard a loud bang coming from what I think was the kitchen area. I was suddenly much more awake, and rushed to see what happened. Kentaro was on the ground, a mess of pots and pans all over him.

He smiled sheepishly up at me. "I thought I'd make breakfast, something you'd like."

I sighed, "Kentaro, make what you usually make; I'm not that picky on food. What do you usually make?"

"Fish; that's pretty much all I can make; I'm still learning though."

I wanted to scold him for trying so hard, but the way he looked on the floor just made me laugh harder and harder, until I couldn't breathe and things were getting blurry from the tears. He just sat there, grinning from ear to ear in the pile of pans, which made me laugh even harder.

I popped some bread in the toaster and helped him clean up the mess. I could not believe this boy didn't know how to make toast.

"I could've done that..." he muttered.

"Then why-"

"I wanted to try to make an actual breakfast, something you couldn't get back at your home..."

I stood there with my mouth open. I hadn't realized he's been keeping me in mind, that he actually cared about me. I felt a lump in my chest as I remembered all the boys I had left behind, alone. They knew how to cook; they could survice just fine. But I missed them.

I shook my head in an attempt to block the memories. I swalled to toast as soon as it popped up in two bites. Kentaro tried to warn me about the temperature, but I ignored his warning and suffered the pain of burning my tongue as a price. Seeing the time, I quickly went back to my room and finished getting ready. I tried looking nice, but all I had for clothes were the ones I was wearing now. When I finally came out, he was waiting at the door with his bag; we were running late.

"You should've just left without me," I panted as we sprinted out the building.

He didn't reply, obviously focusing on keep up with my pace. I grabbed his arm and pulled him down and alley, not breaking my pace at all.

"Wha-"

"It's a shortcut!" I shouted and pulled him up a few boxes onto a flat roof. The buildings were close enough that you could jump from roof to roof with a running start. We blazed through the city by rooftop and slid down a wooden plank; I was running out of steam and the poor guy probably had a stroke, he wasn't the type to go jumping off roofs. We made it just before the late bell, bursting into the classroom. Maka waved at us and, still grasping Kentaro's arm, I went to take my seat next to her. Black Star looked back at me and I held in my laughter.

He looked like hell, cuts and bruises covered his body. I beamed at him, expecting him to be angry or upset. Unfortunatly, he beamed right back, unfazed.

"I'm going to surpass God someday, and I'm gonna kick your ass," he grinned. I scowled.

"Okay class," Professor Stein said as he wheeled into class, "Today's lesson will be on dissection."

The class groaned in unison. He frowned.

"I brought something special in today," he smirked and revealed a cage containing a large colorful bird.

"Professor, isn't that bird endangered?" Maka asked.

"In all technical terms yes, but all the more reason to cut it open and figured out how it works inside yes?"

Liz gasped, "But it's still alive!"

"Well, that's the fun part."

I sighed, "How about learning to fight or something that we actually care about?"

"Ms. Kitayama, we do not simply just learn to fight here, we are here for the sole purpose of preparing ourselves and preventing souls from turning into kishins," he said.

"Yeah yeah whatever," I sighed.

I spaced out through the rest of class, only slightly listening to his boring lecture and floating my way through the rest of the day. Finally, the day was over and it was time to go back home and sleep some more.

"Ms. Kitayama," Stein called.

I kept walking, ignoring him; I just wanted get out of this place. I hated having to obey orders and at least at home Kentaro didn't boss me.

I felt a slight tug on my collar and suddenly I was whisked back into the classroom.

"What do you want?" I hissed, folding my arms as Stein held me in midair by the collar of my shirt.

"Lord Death wishes to speak with you," he said, "And you may not want to, but nobody disobeys lord Death." He cackled and set me down on the ground, "You're quite interesting, I would love to dissect you sometime."

I shrugged him off and followed him through the school to Lord Death's room. He knocked and the door opened slowly. He grinned and pushed me inside, slamming the door behind me.

I looked around at the bright blue sky and the cemetary around me. My jaw dropped as I saw him for the first time: Lord Death.

My first impression would later turn out to be wrong; I had no idea what he was capable of.

"Hiya there kiddo!" He waved with his giant ass hand.

"Please tell me you're joking..."

"What?"

"You? You're Lord Death, the great and powerful?"

"You don't like my appearance? Well I didn't always look like this, but my old mask scared all the poor kids away," he laughed.

"Who could possibly be scared of you with that voice?" I snickered.

"Well my voice was deeper too, I'm not a bad guy I want to be liked by my students not feared. Anyways I can tell you want to get to business, so I'll just start."

"Why am I here in the first place?"

"Ayane, you're a lot more powerful than you think. We need someone with your strength on our side to help us win our battles. Unfortunatly, due to your personality it has been quite hard to find a weapon compatible to you. A few weeks ago, Kentaro joined us though and it was finally the right time to act. We've been monitoring you for quite some time now, waiting for the right moment to approach you," he explained.

"Why didn't you just come up and ask me instead of fighting and making me give up everything?"

"You and I both know that you would have never come. As for making you leave, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. Without going about it this way, there'd be no way you'd be fully with us. Because I have to offer you a deal. If you continue to stay with us and help us with our goal, and try to make Kentaro a death scythe, then after one full year, I am willing to allow you to be reunited with your gang. However, you will no longer be criminals, and instead of being on the street, you'll have yourselves an actual home. Will you join us, Ayane Kitayama?" he stuck out his giant hand.

Tears began to well up in my eyes, so I wordlessly nodded and shook his outstretched hand, trying to hide my grin.

"I look forward to working with you," he chuckled, "You're dismissed."

I ran out the door and nearly crashed into Kentaro.

"What're you doing?" I gasped.

"I waited for you 'cause I didn't want you to have to come home alone."

I hugged him and began skipping out of the building.

"What is it?" he asked nervously.

"I'll explain later," I grinned, and for the first time in a while, I began to hum.