Chapter 2

The final bell rang and I was exhausted. 

"Would you like to join us at Soul and I's house?" Maka asked with a smile. I wasn't used to such kindness; it was strange for me.

"Ayane, I need to speak with you for a minute," Stein said, stepping out of a nearby shadow.

"Sorry Stein, I have personal business I gotta go–"

"You can't return to your gang, that was part of the deal," he said with a puff of his cigarette.

"What?!? They're my family! My home! I can't leave them!" I tried to punch him but he dodged it and I punched a hole in the wall. 

"Maka, will you wait here and then take her with you?" he asked and twisted his damn screw.

"Oh, um sure thing professor," she said.

I followed him back in to the classroom and saw that Kentaro guy waiting inside as well.

"Ayane, say hello to you new weapon and partner, Kentaro."

"I don't need a partner," I said stubbornly, still seething with anger.

"You do and you will. You need to find a place to stay tonight."

"Don't change the subject! Do I at least get to say goodbye to them?" I was visibly shaking with anger now.

Kantaro put a hand on my shoulder, "It'll be all right. I mean I might not have the best apartment, but you can stay with me if that's okay with you 'cause I live alone. I don't mean to sound too forward or anything."

My rage began to recede and I took a deep breath as the shaking ceased. Stein smirked and pushed his glasses up.

"I was right. You two are a perfect match. Ayane, right after this you, Kentaro, Maka, and Soul may go and you can say your final goodbyes. That's it I'm finished you can leave."

I wanted to yell at him, but I wasn't that angry anymore. I grabbed Kentaro by the arm and dragged him out to where Maka, and now Soul as well, were standing.

"What was that about?" Maka asked, "Oh, hello Kentaro!"

"Look, I'll go to your house and this guy's coming too, but first can we make a stop?"

Maka nodded and Soul looked confused for a moment, then apparently just didn't care. I think I could get along with this guy. We made our way out of the school and into the city, to the center where it was a little less rich than other places.

"Dude, I just noticed your tattoo," Soul pointed to the back of my right arm,"That's pretty cool."

My tattoo was a black chinese dragon tattoo stretching from just below my shoulder to just above my elbow. I got it when I was thirteen, three years ago.

"Oh, thanks. I have another one too!" I lifted up my blue sleeveless hoodie up to my belly button and pulled my jeans down a bit to reveal a large black heart tattoo on my left hip; the mark of a Black Heart.

"Hey, isn't that the–"

"Ayane!" a familiar voice called.

I turned around and grinned, "Hey there Daichi!"

A tall and lanky teen with shaggy brown hair wearing nothing but ripped baggy jeans and an identical black heart tattoo his right breast grinned at me and came closer.

"Where ya been all day, Boss?" he asked.

"School. I–"

He pulled a lead pipe out from his back and swung at me. Thinking quickly, I jumped onto a nearby crate and leaped behind him, kicking the pipe out of his hand and twisting his arm behind his back.