Chapter 5

"All right, it's time we begin training," I said with a grin. Kentaro stared blankly at me. "Well, are ya gonna change into a weapon or not?" I tapped my foot on the ground impatiently.

"He-here?" He stuttered. "What if we destroy the house? We should at least do it in the park or something."

I gave him an icy glare. "Transform. Now."

A small squeak came from the back of his throat and he immediately transformed into and a scythe. The handle was long and black and the blade was thin and long, also jet black with one electric blue lightning bolt near the base.

"Kick ass," I breathed.

"Please don't break anything..."

I laughed. "We're going to the park dummy, it's just faster if I can carry you."

I opened the side window and looked down below.

"Ayane we're on the second floor..."

"Don't be such a pansy," I grinned and threw myself out the window. Kentaro shrieked in fear; I shrieked with glee. I used an awning to break the fall, bouncing off it safely to the ground.

"Are you crazy?!?"

"Oh come on, it wasn't even that bad."

I started running towards the park at full speed, swinging my partner behind me carelessly.

I stood in the grass wielding my weapon with both hands.

"Do you get motion sickness at all when you're all... ya know, scythe-y?" I asked.

"Nope not at all actually," he said hesitantly, "Why?"

I smirked, "Perfect."

I twirled him around with my hands with ease; he was surprisingly light for such a large weapon. I swung at the air, hearing the slight swoosh as it was cut. I used one hand, then tried the other. It just felt right, having him as my weapon; our souls had the same resonance, something I could feel but not quite explain.

"I wonder how strong you are," I mumbled under my breath.

"What? Did you say something?"

I turned to face the tree to my left and closed my eyes. The breeze brushed against my cheek, pulling my hair back with it. The sounds of the world suddenly became dull as if I was enclosed in my own space. I focused all my power into my arms and snapped my eyes open.

"Hya!"

I threw my body into the attack and sliced the tree as hard as I could. I didn't expect it would cut all the way through, but I felt the clean slice, as if I were cutting butter. My eyes became saucers as I watched the tree shudder and collapse. People shrieked and Kentaro was freaking out but I didn't seem to be paying attention.

"Shit..."

"What did you just do Ayane?!?"

"Um, I think it may be time to run," I said with a nervous laugh and sprinted in the opposite direction as our home.

"Where are we going!" Kentaro shreiked in a higher than usual voice, "Home is the other way!"

"And what if people were to follow us? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna call the cops and there is no way I'm getting anywhere near those guys. They know my face I'll be arrested just like that!"

"Well maybe it would look less suspicious if you weren't running with a weapon! Put me down already."

Without really thinking I dropped him on the ground and kept running.

"Wait!" he cried and sprinted to catch me as soon as he was back to being human.

We slowly made our way back home by cutting through streets, running when we could and walking when we couldn't run any longer.

"This has been quite a day," I panted and collapsed on the floor. The air conditioning began to cool my body and I stopped sweating.

"That was the longest and hardest I've ever had to run," Kentaro was laying face down on the floor, making him easily mistakable for a corpse.

I snorted, "Get used to it buddy, because when you're with me life will always take these turns." He groaned and I smiled as I laid down and looked up at the ceiling. "You know what? I think that asshat Stein was right to put us together."

"How so?"

"We seem to balance each other out. You're cool and collected, smart, and you do things safe. I on the other hand am hotheaded, strong, and I live for the thrill. You calm me down and I bring the adventure for you. Did you feel it earlier? When I used you earlier, it was so easy and it just felt right." There was a long silence and I sighed. "Guess it was just me who fe-"

"I felt it," he said and sat up, "I know what you mean. I've tried out several meisters, and while we got along just fine, they couldn't fight with me. When a weapon and meister aren't in sync, they cannot wield the weapon, it's too heavy for them. Each time they could barely lift me and it was like a shock down my spine; painful. But to be honest you intimidate me a little. Yet, I haven't been able to talk like this to anyone since I got here really. I feel empowered by you and I was able to cut down a tree with you in one hit; that's pretty incredible don't you think?"

I nodded in agreement and sighed, "As cool as it was, it wasn't much for training. We're late bloomers compared to everyone else, so we've got a lot of catching up to do."

"Speaking of catching up, it's time you get your first assignment."

I swore loudly and jumped to my feet. Stein was standing a few feet away from the door.

"Yo," he said with a smile and cranked his screw, "Heard somebody with a scythe cut down a big tree in a nearby park, that wasn't you guys was it?"

"H-how did you get in here?!" I gasped.

He shrugged, "The door was partially open I let myself in. Lord Death is the city, he pretty much sees everything. After seeing you practice, he thinks you're ready to go in the field. With supervision of course."

"Really?" Kentaro gleamed.

"Tonight's assignment is just a few towns over, apparently a gang is behind a string of murders and robberies. Our job is to check it out, see if they are becoming potential kishins, and take care of them. There also happen to be reports of monsters, so the probability of them being potential kishins is quite high. So let's not waist any more time and get going. This is a pain for me and I've got some experiments to finish at home."

"Oh you poor thing," I said sarcastically.

"What kind of...experiments?" Kentaro asked with hesitation.

Stein's smile had a dark twist and his brief laugh was borderline insane, "That's not something you want to know. Let's just say they're...interesting kinds. Now come along before we miss our train."

I sighed and followed him out the door, Kentaro at my heels. My instincts told me this was going to be a long night.