Chapter 15

Chapter 15

            I slowly woke up and stretched. The arm around me tightened and pulled me closer. Looking around, I smile when I see Henry. The memory of what happened last night flood my mind and I blush. Sighing softly, I slip out from under his arm and make my way to the shower.

            As I let the hot water rush over my body I realized that I slept the whole night for once. By the time I get out of the shower, dry off and get dressed, I find the bed empty. I take my pain medication before leaving the room. Walking through the cabin calling his name, I find a note on the fridge.

            Ace, I’ve gone to get some things for breakfast. It shouldn’t take long and I’ll be back as soon as I can. We need to talk. –Love, Spade

            Deciding to watch a movie until he got back, I turn around and freeze. Leaning against the door frame stood a man I never thought I would ever see again. “Carlos.” I say coldly and he laughs. “I see that you remember me.” I look him over slowly and my eyes land on a faded scar above his left eye.

            I did remember Carlos. My team and I had been sent to kill his father. When we arrived at the villa, we found a 12 year old Carlos being tortured by his father. He was alone, so we were able to sneak up and take him out. I showed Carlos how to treat the wound and we departed with the body. “So, are you here to kill me?”

            “I thought about, even had one of my men take a shot at you.”

            “He almost succeeded in killing me. If I wasn’t used to getting shot, I would have died.”

            “You’re one tough chicka to kill you know.” I just smile and shrug. “Most Seals are.”

            “I owe you the truth before I kill you Ace.”

            “And what is the truth Carlos.”

            “I never got to thank you for saving my life the night you killed my father.” I opened my mouth to speak but he held his hand up. “You saved my life and I’ll be forever grateful to you and your men. I never became like my father, but in some ways I am. I see drugs like he did, but I give the money to those who need it.

            “A few months ago I learned that someone had placed a four million bounty on your head. I’m opening a clinic and orphanage and need the money, so I figured that if I killed you, it would be slightly better than a stranger killing you. But I can’t bring myself to kill the person that saved me from my father. So, I came up with a plan that will keep you safe and get me the money I need for my clinic and orphanage.

            “I am going to fake your death. I made you a whole new life, after today Abriella McKenna will no longer exist. You will become Tony Gaston, a woman who is running from her abusive husband. I know a place down in South Texas that helps women dealing with that. Now, I’m going to make it look like someone broke in and shot you in the back.” He says as he hands me a small bottle with clear liquid in it. “Drink this.”

            “What is it?”

            “It’s my own creation. It will knock you out for hours on end, while leaving no trace of any substance in your body.”

            “We could have used this on a lot of our missions back in the day. What do you call it?”

            “Haven’t figured out a name for it yet.” I quickly unscrew the cap and swallow it. “You should call it Ace’s Last Shot.” I say joking. I could feel the drug taking effect throughout my body and I slump to the floor out cold. But I could hear everything Carlos was doing.

            He made his way slowly through the house making it look like he had broken in and attacked me. I knew what was coming next when I heard the click of the safety on the gun. I felt a small sting on my shoulder and then the sound of liquid being poured out. “I’m sorry for this amigo. My guys are a part of the corner’s group, and they’ll make sure your body gets to me. I owe you my life. We will protect your family and friends until death.” He walks out the front door leaving it open, and left me to my thoughts.

            I don’t know how long I lay there, but after what seemed forever, I heard the sound of Henry’s truck stopping in front of the cabin. “Ace, I’m back! Ace! Ella!” He calls out as he gets closer to the door. I know the second he sees the door open because he drops whatever he’s carrying and starts running.

            “No!” He screams when he sees my body lying in a puddle of blood. He races over to me, picks my body up and starts sobbing. After several minutes he takes his phone out of his pocket and calls my brother. “Jake, Henry here. I need you to come to the Thatcher’s Cabin. There’s been a break in…It’s Ella, Jake.”

            “What about my sister?!”

            “She’s…she’s been shot.”

            “I’m on the way. Do not touch anything!” They hang up and I heard Henry start to move around. It took my brother thirty minutes to reach the cabin. His car slide to a stop and I heard all four doors slam shut. Just great, he brought someone else with him. I caught the sound of Jake’s voice followed by Spark Plug, Powder and Flint’s. “What happened here Spade?” Powder asked as they all stood around my body.

            “I’m not sure man. I went to go get a few things for breakfast because she was running low on food. When I got back, I was greeted with a wide open door. I ran inside and found this.” Jake kneeled down and turned my body over to look at the gunshot wound.

            “She shouldn’t have bled out from just one wound.”

            “Ace was taking meds for her arm and the shot she took about two months ago Jake, or have you forgotten? The pain meds thinned her blood down to where that type of wound could kill her.”  

            “I haven’t forgotten Henry. She’s my sister. Mom, Dad, the guys here and I were planning a surprise party for her. Her birthday is next week. She is…she would be thirty. Thank the Lord that Mom and Dad weren’t home when you called me Henry. This is going to kill them.”

            And it’s killing me to do this to y’all Jake. I’m doing this to protect y’all in the long run.

            “Spade, are you alright?”

            “No Spark Plug, I’m not.” Henry sighs and I could picture him running his fingers through his hair. “Do you know that she thought that we were shutting her out; that she was losing us?”

            “We started planning the party when she was in the hospital. We didn’t have any idea what she thought. She was one to never show any emotion what so ever.” Flint says. Then Powder speaks up. “Ace was the one to always look out for us. I don’t think we ever really doubted her word. When she told us she was fine, we took it at face value. You know, there was a mission we pulled during one of the first years together as a team that she got hurt pretty bad.

            “Tech asked her if she was alright and she just said that she just didn’t get enough sleep the night before. It wasn’t until we got back to the ship and the Captain found her passed out in her bunk. Ace would always put us first before she thought about doing something for herself.” Jake sighs and I felt bad for agreeing with Carlos’ plan, but the need to protect my family and friends outweighed anything I would had planned for myself.

            “I have to call Mom and Dad and let them know. When we find the guy who killed her, spending life in prison would be too good for him.” Suddenly, the sound of Carlos’ men reach my ears. Goodbye Jake. I’ll miss y’all guys. Wish we could have had one more mission before I had to go. Henry, I’ll always love you. Find someone to love again, please. I felt myself being picked up and placed into a body bag. As they zipped me up, I could hear my mom’s screams as Jake told her I was dead. And I knew that they would haunt me for the rest of my life.