Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After the small ceremony in his room, his mother brought out the prettiest cake I’d ever seen. Glancing down at my hand, I smile when I see the gold wedding ring in front of the engagement ring. Once again, everyone left leaving the two of us alone. I laid back on the bed with him and we fell asleep.

Several hours later, I woke up feeling uneasy. Looking at Luke, I noticed that he was watching me. “What is it Luke?”

“It’s time love.” He whispers and places a kiss on my cheek. Looking into his eyes, I could see the love he had for me burning brightly, and I knew that my eyes mirrored his. I didn’t know I was crying until he wiped a tear away. Tightening my hold on his hand, I lay my head on his chest. “I didn’t tell you Luke, but I love you too. I always have. You remember the first day we met?

“The brass had the four of y’all in the conference room to meet your new leader. And you were complaining about having some green horn in charge. You were so deep into your little rant, that you didn’t notice that we had walked into the room until the Colonel cleared his throat. I thought you were joining to pass out right there.

“It took me exactly three missions to prove to you that I was no green horn. If I remember correctly, it was during that last mission when you received the shot to the shoulder that you seemed to change your thoughts about me.”

“It was. I didn’t know then that you had been shot twice in your back. You made sure we were safe first, and I noticed the blood on the back of your clothes. Not once did you complain. I thought you were a force to be reckoned with. You never told us how you got shot in the first place.” Hearing the curiosity in his voice, I told him.

“It was right after you got shot. I was walking behind you when I noticed a guy hiding behind a tree to our left and he was holding a guy watching us. He was aiming at you, so without thinking I threw myself between y’all. Instead of shooting back, I threw my knife at him, hitting him right in the heart.” Luke drew a sharp breath in. “How many times have you saved our lives without us knowing about it?”

I didn’t want to say anything, but I knew that he deserved to know. So, I spent the next three hours telling him about each time I stepped between them and danger, sometimes on purpose or accidentally. It was getting harder for Tech to breath and keeps his eyes open. I knew the end was close and it was killing me.

“I’m sorry…That we…don’t have…Much time…Left together…Love.”

“Luke, I’d rather live one day as your wife, than fifty years as anyone else’s.” I whisper softly and he smiles at me. Luke places a soft, sweet kiss on my lips and in a blink of an eye, he was gone. I slipped out of the bed as the sound of a steady tone fills the room. Nurses, doctors and his family rush into the room.

Two weeks later, we buried him. I had to say, his funeral was beautiful. I never knew how many lives we had touched over the years until that day. I didn’t wear a dress, so instead I was wearing a black tee shirt and a pair of black cargo pants. My eyes stayed glued to his casket the entire service. Never in my life had I ever felt so loved yet so alone.

My parents knew about me marrying Luke. All they had to say about it was that they were sad they didn’t get to meet him. Jake didn’t say anything about it. He was standing behind me as I was given Luke’s flag. I felt his hand on my shoulder and I made sure to hold my head high. After the graveside service, I just sat there. I knew that his family and mine, along with our friends, were waiting and watching me.

Finally standing to my feet, I walk to the casket. Placing the red rose on the top of the cherry wood, I let two weeks of tears fall. “I should have told you sooner Tech. But we both know how stubborn I am.” I say smiling through my tears. “I would have gladly given up my career for a life with you.” Turning my face towards the sun, I close my eyes. “I’ll be seeing ya Tech.” With that, I join my family as they lead me to the car.