Chapter 1

Chapter 1

As I pulled into the parking lot of a small hotel, I heard my phone ringing. Looking down, I smiled when I saw S.P.’s number on the screen. Grabbing it quickly, I answer it. “You’ve reached the voicemail of Ace. You know what to do.” I almost laughed when I heard Spark Plug sigh. “Come on, Ace. This is the tenth time I’ve tried to call you and you didn’t answer.

“I swear, you had better be in a freaking coma or lost with no cell reception. I just wanted to let you know that we’re shipping out in two weeks. They guys are all here…” I could keep the act up anymore. Not with them about to ship out. “Hey Spark Plug.”

“Ace? What the heck! I thought I got voice mail again.”

“You called me at the right time. I just stopped the car. You know I don’t answer my phone when I’m driving.”

“Yeah, I forgot about that sorry.”

“You’re forgiven. Now, what’s this about y’all shipping out in two weeks?” He sighs softly and I could hear the guys in the background become quiet. “We were to ship out for a mission in a month, but they received news about three pilots missing behind the lines. Their sending in two more teams ahead of us, that’s why we have two weeks. They send the first team last week, and tomorrow Dolly’s team will be leaving.”

“How’s he doing? I heard he got hit pretty badly his last round.”

“They were able to save his leg. But he has a small limp, though you can’t see it unless you watch him real carefully.” I stare at the hotel sign. “That’s good. I’d hate for him to lose both a limb and his career as a Seal.”

“Tech wants to know if you made it home yet.”

“I’m about maybe ten-twelve hours away. I decided to stop at a hotel and get some sleep.”

“Good, because we don’t need to get back and hear that you’ve fallen asleep driving. It’d kill us.” I laugh softly, but knew that he was telling the truth. Over the past eleven years, the five of us have grown as close as family, which makes since seeing as how we faced death together every time we went on a mission, and we’d been on countless missions. We had the highest success rate so far, and we had been proud of that.

The guys and I spent the next thirty minutes talking. They finally let me go when they heard me yawning. Checking in, I made sure to get a room on the ground floor. Walking to my room, I lock the door and slide the small table in front of it. Taking a shower, I slip into a white tank top and black shorts and crashed onto the bed.

In the morning, I quickly packed my things and left. I kept a low profile and only made stops when I had to. It wasn’t that I was paranoid, it was just so ingrained into me, and I did it without really knowing I was doing it. Around noon, I stopped by a little mom and pop diner on the side of the highway.

Walking in, the hostess led me to a table in the middle of the room. Before she could pull out a chair, I ask her, “Do you have a table in the back of the room, preferably in a corner?” She nods once and starts walking. When she stops, I thank her. I order the special and a glass of water.

I took my time eating, but I was mostly watching the people come in. I’d scan each and every one of them, their faces burned into my memory. But I didn’t see anyone familiar. I shake my head once slowly. Paying my bill, I get back into my just as the phone rings. “Hello?”

“Is this Ms. Abriella McKenna?”

“This is. Who’s speaking?”

“This is Dr. Peters. I was wondering if you could come in this week for a check up on your arm.”

“Sorry Doc, but I’m out of town at the moment and it’ll be a while before I can get back.”

“I suggest that you find a doctor and get it checked. I know it was healing when you left, but we don’t want another infection settling in.”

“Sure thing Doc.” I say as I hang up. I glance at my arm and scoff. The wound was healed with a hot pink scar over the stub. There was no infection and I wasn’t going to see a doctor about it. Rubbing my face, I pull back onto the road. I had some miles to cover.