Chapter 6

Chapter 6

True to his word, General Stella called me every day with updates on my guys. Even though it was the same thing every day, it made me feel better just hearing it from him. After he gave me the update, we would talk, mainly about Tech and the guys. “I’m glad that I finally got to speak with you McKenna. Luke wouldn’t stop talking about you ever time he’d come home that first year from a mission.

“I knew you were one of the best, but the things he said you did, I almost didn’t believe it. You had a six sense about danger it seemed. Somehow, you managed to keep your team out of more scrapes and injuries than anyone ever has. Looking back now, I see that Luke and the others were lucky to have you as their leader.”

“Thank you sir, but I’m the lucky one. Without them, I don’t think I would have made it as long as I have.” He laughs. “I wish there was more I could do for you. You saved my son’s life more times than I can remember and often as great risk for yourself.”

I lower my head in embarrassment. “You don’t owe me anything General. Tech, I mean Luke, is a good friend. He’s almost like a brother to me. They all are. I would give my life for each and every one of them any day of the week.”

“He told me about y’all’s last mission where you took a bullet to the arm, saving Hackett’s life. Luke told me later that you lost your arm and almost your life. I have to go McKenna. I’ll speak to you tomorrow.”

“Yes sir, General. Thank you for calling.” We say goodbye and I hang up. A picture on the nightstand catches my eye and I reach for it. A sad smile plays on my lips as I look at the laughing faces of the five of us. I don’t know how long I sat on my bed staring at that picture of us, but it must have been several hours. Placing it back on the table, I head to the kitchen to get me some of mom’s chicken and dumplings.

Finishing my bowl of dumplings, I heard my mom’s laugh coming from the back porch. As I walked closer, I heard Sandy’s annoying giggle. Opening the door a little and keeping my face hidden, I make eye contact with mom. She smiles and I knew that Sandy was trying to see who was at the door. “I’m going for a run. I have my phone if you need me Mom.” As I shut the door, I heard Sandy asking my mom about me.

“Mrs. K, I heard that Ella was home. There are rumors going around that she’d been hurt pretty bad. How is she?” The sweetness and concern I heard in her voice made me sick. I had forgiven her and Brent, but the pain was still there. Walking at a fast pace, I quickly reached the red light where Henry would meet me every morning.

Making a quick decision, I turn instead of walking straight ahead. I didn’t know where he lived, but it was a small town. I was just about to give up and go home when I spotted a house with several trucks and a jet black motor cycle in the drive way. Something told me that was Spade’s house. Following the sounds of laughter around the house, I stop behind a bush and smile.

I recognized every one of them: they were Henry’s team that the guys and I saved. Waiting until there was an opening in their conversation, I walk behind them and speak. “You know Spade, I’m hurt.” I say holding a hand over my heart. They didn’t hear me walk up and my sudden voice surprised them.

Keeping my poker face on, I looked at Henry. “Here I was thinking we were friends, yet you threw a party and didn’t invite me.” I knew by the stuttering he was doing that he didn’t know I was joking with him. I smile suddenly and laugh. “Chill out Spade. I was just joking man. They’re your team, so trust me I understand.” Looking at them, I smile. “Hey fellows, I’m…”

“We know who you are Ace.” One guy says as they all stand up coming to shake my hand. Chuckling, I shake their hands. “Really now?”

“Yeah, Spade here told us all about you and your team when we were recovering. He told us how y’all saved our hides. We never got the chance to thank you.” Shrugging their thanks off, I smile. “The one y’all should be thanking is Spade here. He was hurt pretty bad, but he wouldn’t let us take him until each of you was on the boat.”

They looked at him and Henry just glared at me. “I’m not one to steal another’s thunder Spade.” I tell him as my phone starts ringing. “A-ten hut! A-ten hut!” Out of habit, we all snapped to attention before we realized it was my phone. Giving them a sheepish grin, I pull it out.

“McKenna, General Stella here. You need to get back as soon as you can. Luke just woke up, but the doctors said he’s not doing well.” I pale at his words and felt my spine become as straight as a pole. “Did…Did they say what was wrong?” I could barely ask. “No, they didn’t say. But if you want to say goodbye to him, you need to hurry.”

“Yes sir. Thank you for letting me know General.” I hang up and just stare at my phone. “Henry, could you give me a lift to the airport?”

“Yeah, but if you’re in a hurry, Hopper here could fly you where you need to go.” He tells me nodding to one of the guys. I was about to argue, but I just nod. “Thanks. I’m sorry for breaking up your get together.”

“You’re our friend, Ace. And we do anything for our friends.” As it turned out, the bike belonged to Hopper. It took us only fifteen minutes to reach the airport and another ten to get his plane in the air. “Crap. Hey, Hopper, is it alright if I made a call?”

“Sure thing Ace.” Quickly hitting my mom’s number, I look out the window. “Ella! I was just about to call you. Where are you? Are you alright?”

“Mom, I won’t be home for a few days. I just got word that Tech’s taken a turn for the worst. An old friend of mine is flying me to see him. I’ll be back just as soon as I can, so don’t worry about me.”

“You just make sure to call me once a day until you get home Abriella.”

“Yes ma’am mom.” The flight took five hours, but it felt like forever. Hopper drove me to the hospital and I all but ran to Luke’s room. Opening the door, I spot the General and his wife sitting beside Luke, talking to him. The General notices us and we come to attention. He just waves us off, though saying that it wasn’t necessary.

General and Mrs. Stella leave with Hopper to give Luke and me some time together. He gives me a smile, but I could see that it didn’t reach his eyes. Taking another look at him, I knew that he wouldn’t make it. He held his hand out to me and I broke down. I lay down beside him and he wrapped his arms around me, letting me cry.

“You can’t die on me Tech. I’d be lost without you and you know it.”

“You’ll be alright Ace. I know you don’t think you will be, but I know you’ll be alright.”

“If I had been there y’all wouldn’t be in this mess right now.” Luke laughs softly. “Ella, we all knew that this day was coming sooner or later. It happens to us all whether we’re ready to go or not.” We lay there in silence for a little while and I notice that his heart beat was slowly doing every so often.

“Ella, there’s something I need to tell you. I…I should have told you sooner. In fact, I was going to tell you the night you called, but I chickened out.” Surprise fills my eyes as I notice how nervous Tech is. Tech never got nervous. “What is it Tech?”

“Ella, I’ve been in love with you from the first day we met. I should have told you sooner, a heck of a lot sooner.” He reaches under his pillow and pulls out a small black box. I stare at him, tears streaming down my face. He hands it to me and I open it to reveal a breathtaking ring. It was a ruby with diamonds around it in the shape of a flower on a gold band. And I loved it.

“Abriella McKenna, will you marry me?” Without thinking I reply. “I would love to marry you Luke Stella.” His face breaks into the brightest smile I’d ever seen. Hearing clapping, I turn around to find his parents, Hopper, and the guys, who were in wheelchairs, smiling at us. Standing behind them was a preacher. “I’m glad, because it’s hard to have a wedding without the bride.” Tech jokes and I smile through the tears.