Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Every morning at four, I’d leave for a run. I’d wait for mom or dad to get up before I left so they wouldn’t worry. About a week into my morning run, I was joined by a guy roughly about my age. I could tell by the way he carried his self that he had military back ground. Every morning, we’d meet by the red light two miles from my house and we’d run all the way to the school and back to the light.

We wouldn’t speak, just nod and run. Around the second week, I was starting to get worried about S.P., Tech, Powder and Flint. We would normally be done with a mission in two weeks, and Tech promised to call me the second they got home. And I knew that Luke wasn’t one to break his promise.

By the time Saturday rolled around, I was almost a case of nerves. The sky was dark and clouded, but I still decided to go for a run. When I reached the red light, my running buddy wasn’t there. Deciding to call Tech, I pull out my phone and I come to a stop. Punching in his number, I stand there just staring at the light.

I was about to hang up and try Spark Plug when he answered. “Hey Tech. Why haven’t you called me before this man? You promised.”

“I’m sorry. You must have the wrong number.” I stare at the phone. “I’m calling for Luke Stella.” Quiet radiates from the other end of the line and I knew that something was wrong. “And who’s calling my I ask?”

“This is Abriella McKenna, but I go by Ace. Now, may I speak with Luke please?” I demanded. The feeling I had just grows stronger. “I’m sorry Ms. McKenna, but Captain Stella won’t be able to come to the phone for some time.” I grind my teeth and almost throw my phone.

“What happened, and you better tell me everything little detail bud. Because if I come down there to see Tech, and I find that you left out something that I should know, trust me, no one could save you. Understand?!”

“That’s no… Understood. Stella and his team mates were sent on a mission about two weeks ago. But where others had failed, this team came through. They found the pilots and were extracting them when they were ambushed by a very large number of hostile enemies. Luke Stella, Jason Roberts (Powder), Sam Vaughn (Flint) and John K. Hackett (Spark Plug) were injured pretty badly. Their new group leader was killed. They still managed to bring the three pilots and the body of the leader home.”

“That’s the way we trained.”

“Wait. You’re the “Ace” McKenna, aren’t you?” He asked sounding slightly awed. I growl softly. “My name is McKenna, and only the members of my team have the right to call me Ace.” My voice sounded cold as ice, but I didn’t notice. “I apologize Ms. McKenna. If it will make you fill better, I’ll call you every day with an update on all four of them.”

“That would be great thanks. Oh, who are you?”

“I’m General R. Stella.” He said quietly and I gasped. “I apologize for my behavior sir.” I say, snapping to attention. He chuckles and I relax a little. “It’s alright McKenna. I’m Luke’s father.”

“I had no idea sir. Please, if there’s any change in any of them, good or bad, call me. It would kill me if I wasn’t able to say goodbye to them after all we’ve been through.” He agrees and I hang up. I feel eyes on me and I turn around to find my running friend watching me. I give him and smile and extend my hand. “Hello. We never introduced ourselves. I’m Ella McKenna.”

He smiles back and takes my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you again Ace. I’m sure you don’t remember me. The name’s Henry Vega.” I take another look at his face and it hits me. “Spade, it’s really you?” I couldn’t keep the shock out of my voice. He laughs as we start to walk towards the school. “I’m glad to see that you remembered me after all. I wasn’t sure you would for a while there Ace.” Shrugging, I rub the back of my neck. “I had some things on my mind lately.”

“You’re team?”

“Yeah. They went on their first mission without me two weeks ago and it got bad quick. All four of them are in the hospital and their team leader’s dead. If it hadn’t been for how we were trained, I don’t think they would have made it, and they’re not out of the woods yet.”

“Who were you talking to when I walked up?”

“Tech’s father, who apparently is General Stella.” He looks at me surprised and I laugh. “Yeah, I didn’t know either. But Tech probably kept it a secret because knowing him, he didn’t want anyone to treat him different because of who his father is.” Henry nods.

They first time we ran together, I noticed that he had a slight limp and a scar that looked like it ran all the way up to his hip. He could see my arm, but not once did he ask about it. We slipped into silence as we walked, which gave me time to think. I remembered day I met Henry. The guys and I had been sent in to find a small group of missing Rangers. We found them, but they were almost dead.

It took us several hours to get everyone out. Henry wouldn’t let us take him first. He refused until everyone else was safe. I didn’t let on them, but I was worried that he wouldn’t make it. The wounds he had were bleeding profusely. But he had the will power of a mule. I noticed that he suddenly picked up his pace, so I followed suit. By the time we reached the school, we were running wide open.

We didn’t stop, just turned around and headed back the way we came staying on wide open. It felt good to just let out for once and forget about everything. The burn in my legs was welcomed. When we reached the light, Spade turned to go. “Spade!”

“Yeah Ace?”

“We should grab a pizza soon and catch up.”

“Sure thing McKenna.” He says smiling as he runs off. Shaking my head, I make my way home.