Chapter 8

Just as my father told us to expect, the werecat clan leaders were already there when we arrived, standing a few meters outside of the line that marked our territorial border as a sign of respect.

As soon as we were close enough I began to feel an uneasy prickling feeling, my instincts immediately telling me to attack.

I had to give myself a stern shake of my head to ignore it, knowing that it was just blood and history that made it an instinctive reaction to hate the werecats. Though I could tell Kallen could feel it too, because when he set eyes on the feline shifters, I noticed the bone in his jaw clench. But other than that, he kept his face calm and neutral — how I should have made myself look.

Technically the clan leaders hadn't done anything wrong, yet, so to say, and my father told us to behave no matter what. I was not about to disobey my Alpha's orders just because of a little urge.

Once the four figures that were there saw my father step into the clearing, the one — who I'm guessing was the clan leader, gave an acknowledging nod of his head to him as a sign of greeting, which my father returned briefly in a formal matter before they got down to business.

"You stated previously that this matter has something to do about one of your own," my father began, regarding the clan leader with a rather impassive expression that was neither friendly nor not, as he continued, "I want to know why we are here tonight and what exactly the matter has to do with my pack," he demanded calmly but sternly.

"Of course, Alpha Drayre," the clan leader responded. He seemed neither fazed nor apprehensive about my father's intimidating demeanour, but maybe that was because he too radiated power of his own. Two auras of two seemingly very powerful leaders. It was hard to just stand there and watch from a distance. "The reason we asked you here and the reason we have been contacting nearby packs in the surrounding areas, is because a few weeks ago a young member of our clan went rogue, and we think he may have gone somewhere in the southern direction."

My ears perked up with interest and I noticed Kallen lean forward attentively as the feline shifter continued.

"Because this is a matter of importance, we formally ask for your permission to allow us into your town so that we may search for him ourselves."

I noticed Kallen's arms cross tighter as his jaw clenched again. I knew he wanted to speak up but he held his tongue, as did I. We both seemed to be holding our breath as my father regarded the clan leader stonily, his grey eyes flickering with consideration.

A gap of eerie silence passed as it seemed everyone could feel the weight and suspense of what my father's reaction would be.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," my father said after a few moments. "I cannot allow a bunch of werecats to enter a territory full of wolves, it would no doubt cause trouble between our two families and that is the last thing our two species need," he concluded slowly, words calm and collected just as he always was, but I could just feel the intensity radiating off him.

The clan leader looked down, knowing that with my father's set demeanour, there would be no arguing further without causing a fight. "I understand...I agree it is unethical. However, would it be too much trouble to ask for a report of any news should you find anything?" he asked slowly, and I noticed how some of the other werecats were leaned in to await my father's response.

"No, you have my word." My father replied contently. "And should we happen to come across him, we shall do our best to return him to you unharmed. It is up to you and your own people to decide what should be done after that."

"Thank you," the clan leader smiled, seemingly relieved. "That is all I ask."

Once the werecats had finished discussing business with my father, the meeting concluded and the wolves and the cats went our opposite ways.