Chapter 36

•Ethan•

It's a universal law that weekends are designed to end too quickly when you need it the most — and then Monday slams into you like a brick.

The school day was a drag. The skies were clouded and rain cried from the skies in swelling drops. The roads ran like thin rivers with the amount of water it had accumulated, too quickly for the town drain system to keep up with. My morning history class with Katski ended too soon for my liking, and then I was left yearning for the end of the day with each slow passing minute. Most were kept indoors, due to the weather, and so it was harder for Katski and me to find so much as a semi-private place to spend our lunch hour.

Ever lovely Tuesday was no better. The bad weather continued, and the school's mood was grumpier because of it. As many had shown up with wet hair and soaked shoes that morning in class. For once, almost everyone was almost as snappy as me.

Wednesday was worse off. There had been a test I had neglected to concern myself with studying for, so by the end of the period when I turned in my paper, I did so with a grimace. By that point, I was simply done. Too drained by the dragging pace in which it seemed the entire week was threatening to turn out. The rain still had not stopped.

Katski and I fell into step just behind the other as we always did heading for class. Though it was clear to most of the school by now, especially after the talk spread from the camping trip, that the new student had somehow managed to tame Eastwood's anti-social wildcard. People could still be caught staring at us when we passed. I had always easily ignored stares, but Katski on the other hand, had not only been taking the attention very well...he had embraced it. Much to my displeasure.

He didn't mind if the school thought he was the guy who "managed" to become my friend — wondering who really tolerated the other. It seemed to be his justification for being more open about being close to me. Wether that was in the form of walking and talking with his arm around my shoulders and stupidly big grin on his face, or ruffling my hair when I snapped at him for it. Regardless, I guess I could agree it was nice, not having to worry about how others perceived us.

My only concern was my pack — but no one would feel the need to telltale that the second Drayre kid finally found a person of tolerance that wasn't Maia. So we were safe. So long as those giggling girls in book club and their crazy imaginations didn't spread their gossiping theories that they thought we couldn't hear when they saw us pass.

The stuff they came up with...

Not knowing how close most of their non-insane theories were...

Sometimes, it was hard not to burst out laugh.

Our hands nearly brushed for a moment. I felt my skin tingle with the absence of his, longing for that feel, for that connection. A quick glance confirming no one was looking our way; I purposefully leaned a little over his shoulder so that my breath fell against his ear for just a heartbeat. "Come with me quickly."

I pulled back too quick for anyone to see what I'd done. And I left, following the straight shot past my classroom doors.

There was a moment of hesitance. And then his footsteps followed a little ways behind.

I hid my grin by refusing to look back until we'd found an empty corner hallway with all closed doors. When Katski turned around the corner, I grabbed hold of his maroon red t-shirt and swung him with our combined momentum until he was against the wall, caged within the barrier of my arms as I planted each of my palms beside his head. His bag dropped off his shoulder. He made a surprised sound--a half sort of yelp as he stared at me with wide eyes darting from side to side. But there was no one here but us. He relaxed a fragment, but still looked up at me in question.