Chapter 41 prt. 2

Ethan

"YOU DUMB FUCKING IDIOT! WAKE THE HELL UP!"

Just as I was violently (without violently) shaking the hell out of my unconscious boyfriend, one of two good things happened.

Katski opened his eyes again, though he was struggling. That was the good thing.

The second; the door burst open with a crack of wood and I felt as if the whole world was just straight up over.

I jumped in front of Katski, prepared to fight off the huge wolf I was expecting to see snarling in the doorway.

Instead, I saw two people I have never been so glad were not my brother.

"Jesus fuck!" Sage exclaimed, standing on the outside porch a few feet in front of me. Her eyes were blown wide, and she was staring at me as if she'd never seen one dude holding another dude who was in-desperate-need-of-medical-attention on the floor of our childhood playhouse before. Maia, at her side, wore the same fucking expression. I mean, come on, this was my place too.

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!" Both she-wolves exclaimed at the top of their lungs like I wasn't right there.

My brain's way of thinking was extra sarcastic when I was in a panic — huh, who could have known that?

"ETHAN!" Maia yelled.

"Kallen," I managed to say, not registering how shakily my voice stuttered. I couldn't find it in myself to breathe.

Sage sputtered, "Kallen? Huh, what? How does he—" her questions fell on deaf ears as my gaze found Maia's.

"Help him...please..." I begged. I knew I didn't know what I was doing. I knew I wasn't helping my mate. But she could. Maia—who studied with the elders, something I had never cared about until now; medicine. And if there was one good thing those old bags knew how to teach her, it was healing werebeasts.

Maia, with only a quick moment of hesitation, steeled herself. And then she moved with purpose. She pushed me to the side, albeit not harshly; only so she could get a better view of the wound. Her eyes were narrowed as she hovered her fingers and traces the lines of the bloody injury. Then she sniffed. "Should have guessed. Alpha bite — they're always the worst to deal with; the venom of an Alpha's bite works as an amplifier for the pain. The worst the wound, the more hellish you're gonna feel."

As if to testify, Katski let out a groan.

I grabbed his hand, breathing hard. His blood was on my hands. I could smell it. Everywhere. He was hurt. And it was my fault. He's hurt and it's my fault! He's hurt and it's my fault! He's hurt and it's my fault! He's—

A dark hand gripped my shoulder. "Calm down E," Maia said without looking at me. Her eyes refused to stray from the open injury. "I won't let him go. I promise. He's going to be alright."

I released a shaky breath.

"Katski, can you hear me?"

His eyes barely fluttered, but he managed a weak grin. "Yeah...loud and...kinda fuzzy but clear enough..."

I managed to roll my eyes. "God, despite it all how are you still able to be such an idiot?" I laughed through fighting tears.