The Cubicle Neighbour

So far, no promotion, no engagement. But it's fine- that's what Cassie kept telling her self. Walking back into the office after the whole promotion fiasco was difficult for because in her mind she was constantly looked down upon and in some cases that was true but most of it was in her head. The paranoia got worse each day but she doesn't have any other choice to suck it up and carry on with her life. It was worse whenever she saw Michael's empty cubicle as it reminded her that he's in a big office now and she Is still... stuck... in a 6 by 6 cubicle. The only good thing about this was she'd never have to fake a conversation with Michael again.

"YO! Cassie, you're not missing me are you?"

Spoke too soon...

"I'm trying not to but it's "so" difficult seeing your empty desk"
"Well don't worry about that, the new employee gets here today, he's like a... computer genius or something"
"There's already a replacement? What's his name?"
"Er hold that thought, I swear he was like a George or erm I know, it was definitely Gene, actually wait he was more of a Steven"-
"Okay, I get the point, Thanks for letting me know."
"Anytime, by the way, next time you go for a coffee, bring me one will you, it's just my new office is quite far away"

Cassie tries to keep her cool but this Michael is sure trying to get on her nerves, but she cools off because she knows it's not worth it."

"Sure Michael, anything for you Michael."
"Thanks, Cassie. You are my girl!"

And with that... whatever that was, Michael leaves. Cassie gets on with her normal work schedule just trying to get through the day until she hears shuffling next door. Obviously this our opposite to our protagonist and well... they don't really get off on the right foot. The loud noises eventually settle and Cassie gets back to her work before...

BANG!

Cassie startles at the sound almost becoming annoyed, after all, with Michael not being around she got used to the silence. Well, now she just needs to get used to the noise.

BANG!

Again...

BANG!

Oh boy, I'm the narrator and even I didn't expect that one. Anyways Cassie puts her head on her desk thinking how can a person make SO MUCH NOISE.
Then the surprise occurrence of silence.

... until

CRASH!

"Great, another Michael"

This went on for days and days before Cassie's ultimate pet peeve ... obnoxious loud typing and that's when she couldn't take it anymore especially when she had a migraine already from Michael's briefing and had a fever. This was her breaking point and she had to vent to someone but you as the reader know she doesn't have friends so dialling Mom...

"Hey sweetie"-
"I CAN NOT DO THIS ANYMORE, the guy is a psycho... honestly how can someone make that much noise, he grabs a file, the whole piles falls down, he eats something makes the vilest sound I've ever heard and the wrapper ends up in my office. I cannot even make this up, the guy has this soup every day for lunch and he can eat whatever he wants but he chooses to eat it in his office and the smell, I can't even go one hour without having to spray something. And the typing, anyone can type like a normal human being but he chooses to thump each key and this goes on for hours on end. Honestly, I just want to go up and tell him to SHUT UP"-

"Ahem"

Cassie looks behind and can't help but freeze. You know what's just happened. Our esteemed opposite has just heard everything.

"Hey Cassie, sweetie, I can't hear you what's going"-

Cassie cuts the call but remains frozen. Looking at him, she feels awkward, he looks upset as much as he looks embarrassed. His eyes can rival a puppy's any day but that in this situations is not helpful and just made Cassie feel worse.

"These ... are the files for Michael's project... he wants them done by tomorrow."

He places the files slowly on the table before quickly walking out. Meanwhile like an idiot, Cassie didn't say anything and she's still frozen. Oh no there she goes spinning in her chair closing her eyes, she can't seem to do anything right as of late and I agree. Anyways that's enough bashing 1 half of our opposites. Time to think about how she can make it up to him.