The Surprise

Sad, sulky, unmotivated. Cassie had never felt like this and for the first time in forever she had no striving point or plan. Slowly walking across New York in the night was all she had the energy to do. To go back to her apartment and just be alone made her feel sane but as you can tell she won't be alone when she goes back home. As Cassie opens the door a deafening sound hit  her ears and made her drop all her bags... great.~

"SURPRISE !"
"MOM? EMILY?!"

Emily being Cassie's younger sister- they have nearly the same values in life except Emily understood the value of having friends in your life and living life to fullest. Although this made Cassie always have a disagreement with her sister.~

"What are you guys doing here? And who are all these people?"
"These are your neighbours, I assumed that you would've met them with u living here for 5 years"
"Emily be quiet, and Cassie, we knew how today was important for you and we couldn't let you celebrate this day on your own"
"Oh Mom I'm happy to see you but you really shouldn't have"
"Oh don't be silly"
"No I mean you really shouldn't have"
"Nonsense, now let me give a proper introduction to my amazing promoted daughter"

Cue the most awkward, mortifying moment in front of your neighbours that's you've never ever met and a sister that you can hardly stand~

"Thank you for coming to my daughter's promotion party, I can wholeheartedly say that she's the most hardworking, intelligent and confident woman I've ever met. There's nothing like working for so long and having it finally pay off, so this is for you Cassie, no more cramped cubicles for you my dear. Why don't you say a few words."

"SPEECH, SPEECH, SPEECH!"

The whole crowd started chanting and as if Cassie couldn't feel more of a failure, these people want a speech on her "promotion", the chanting finally gets to her and she says the words she's been dreading... but very quietly.~

"I didn't get the promotion"
"Speak up dear we can't hear you"

"I DIDN'T GET THE PROMOTION!"

Cue the awkward silence as everyone blankly stares at her.

"And I'm sorry Mom that you came all this way for nothing. And to all my neighbours that I've never met before thanks for your everlasting support but this has been time wasted for you and I apologise but if you guys wanna celebrate some more, stay 10 minutes and knock yourselves out because I did not get promoted."

And with that drunken speech, Cassie went to her room almost in tears as the crowd slowly left. She sat down on her bed and just stared at the floor before a knock on her door.~

"Come in.."
"Hey, Cassie. I'm so sorry, it's just you were so sure that I didn't think you wouldn't get the promotion."

Cassie bursts into tears and her mom goes to comfort her~

"Hey sweetie don't cry it's going to be okay, if your dad was here, he would've known how to get that smile back on your face"
"Don't do that to yourself  Mom, I just need to get over it."
"But I know you worked so hard for this, what happened?"
"I don't know, I worked hard every day, I have not had any leave, I filed and faxed even though that wasn't apart of my job, I did everything Mr Holloway asked me to do and did stuff he didn't ask me to do,l. I stayed overnight to finish off projects and programs and websites. I came early to get extra work done and 5 years of consistent work Mom and you know who got promoted?"
"Who?"
" MICHAEL"
"Slushy Michael that dumps his work on you and obnoxiously shouts your name."

Cassie at this point ugly cries as she realises Michael who works 30 minutes in an 8-hour shift got promoted.~

"Where do I go from here Mom? I can't keep doing this, I mean I worked so hard and I hardly spent time at home to the point where I don't even know who lives next door. Am I that closed off"
"Cassie, I've always seen you work hard, but I think you do need to give yourself a break and the come hard with the same fiery force you had before"
"I don't know"-

Cassie's phone flashes as her Boyfriend of 4 years has messaged her. Bet you didn't expect her to have anyone in her life at this point and I don't think Cassie even remembered herself~

"It's Joey! He said he wants to talk to me next week after he gets back from LA, he realised what his heart wants?"
"You know what that means. Someone's getting proposed to!"
"Mom! Stop! ... wait are you sure?"
"What else could it mean?"

They both shriek in excitement except with the way things are going do you really think this is going end up in an engagement?~