Chapter Three: Here's My Chance

It wasn't a dream after all. I got up and went to my desk with a fresh set of clothes and a letter set on it. I sat down and nervously opened the letter. If I fail, I still have the chance of being a janitor, don't I? I shook my head and the bad thoughts along with it.

Dear Ms. Hakira Toga,

You passed the written exam exceptionally which is why the school decided to register you as a scholar in the hero class, but only if you pass the practical exams as well. With this offer, the school will be in charge of your allowance as well. We look forward to you being a trustworthy part of this institution.

I read the letter twice, thrice, a lot, to make sure that I was reading the right thing. I put my hand on my mouth and smiled as my eyes teared up. Something normal in my life, for the first time in forever. I passed. I looked back at the desk to see that a note was attached to the clothes given to me.

The girls in class volunteered to lend you some clothes, take a bath and head downstairs as soon as you can. -Class 1-A

I carried the clothes with me to the bathroom, following the doodled map at the back of the note.

-*-

I folded my old clothes and the towel I used and placed them on the bed before heading downstairs as I combed my hair. I stopped at the foot of the staircase to watch everyone doing their own thing in separate groups. One group was dancing, the other was in a sort of band, and another was making..stuff.

"We're preparing for the festival this Saturday, join us," Midoriya says from behind me, making me jump.

"Is it normal for you to sneak up on people?" I clutched my chest and held onto the banister.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, I thought you heard my footste-" He rambles but I cut him off with a laugh and he laughs along with me.

"Toga, I'm Mina Ashido, now come and join us," Ashido pulled me to the center of the group and instantly, everyone rushed to talk to me, introducing themselves to me. Maybe they just want me to feel welcomed, but don't necessarily trust me.

"How can I help?" I mutter shyly.

"Can you dance?"

"Can you play instruments?"

"If you can't do either, you can make props with us instead," Kirishima went on about their plans for the effects.

I just stared at them, confused from all the sudden questions but I managed to get my composure back. "If I attempt to dance, I'll end up face first on the floor, trust me. For instruments," I paused and muttered the next things I said. "I played bass back in the day but was told I have no future with music and stuff like that so I stopped." I smiled and continued. "For the props, I can try a trick if you guys would let me. We can have Mr. Aizawa ready to erase my quirk if you don't," I waved one of my wrists at them, suggesting that I need to use my quirk for it.

They all looked at each other before Iida, their class representative, released one of my hands.

"Uhm, Todoroki, can you give me a small cube of ice, and can I borrow scissors or a cutter for a moment" I asked, a bit sorry that I used him like an ice tray. He tosses me a cube of ice, the size of my whole hand, while Midoriya hands me a cutter. I prick the tip of my finger, drawing blood from it and holding it onto the cube, making the scarlet fluid seep into it. I toss the cube to Kirishima and hand the cutter back to Midoriya.

As Kirishima sheds it, pastel pink snow seems to appear and I smile as my little experiment appears to have worked. Everyone stared at the little show in awe and agreed to use the idea.

"That doesn't excuse you from playing the bass," Ashido brings up as I placed the bracelet back on my wrist.

"It's been way too long since I last played," I reasoned.

"Too scared to accept that I'm probably better at playing instruments than you?" Bakugou comments with a smug smirk.

"You play an instrument?" I asked incredulously. He glared at me before getting up, at first I thought he was going to hit me or something but let's just say I was picking my jaw up from the floor after he played the drums. He's challenging me.

"Oh, it's on," I smiled at the challenge as Jiro handed me a bass. I closed my eyes and just let my fingers slide through each chord as I played the Bohemian Rhapsody on it. (A/N: You guys should listen to a bass solo for that, it's amazing but idk how to play.)

I opened my eyes to everyone smiling and cheering for me, even Bakugou seemed proud--to have provoked me enough to make me play.

"You definitely have to play with us, if it's okay for you to memorize the routine in just 4 days, well, 3 since we have that practical exam the day before the festival," Jiro asks me. I happily obliged as I walked with them to start practicing, turns out it's an original song she made.

Within 3 days, I was able to laugh, sing, share and make a meal with everyone. These three days were happier than my 16 years of being alive. These were the days that I can actually say and honestly accept that I'm happy, even if it was with the last people I expected to feel the emotions with. Sometime during curry-making, I saw everyone being carefree that I was around, like I was already a part of their class in the first place. The days flew by until it was the day for the practical exams. I laid in bed and rubbed my bracelet-free wrists, nervous about the next day. 

To be continued...