Chapter 11

Booker's POV
I'm currently sitting in my room playing video games. I can't help but think about Tess and the situation. I don't even know how to face her tomorrow in school. Doing our project is going to be so awkward. I just wish that things didn't end the way they did. There's no way to fix it.
I continue to play video games as I get lost in my thoughts when I hear a knock at my door. I look over and see Nia in the doorway.

"Hey bro." She says quietly. I pause my game before answering her.
"What do you want sis?" I say rudely. I'm still not over what she did earlier.
"I deserve that I guess." She says shyly before coming to sit over next to me. "I wanted to say I'm sorry for lying to you. I didn't mean to."
I gave her a look to tell her I'm not buying it.
"Okay well I did but honestly I didn't want to do it at first."

"Then why did you Nia?" I say dull. "Do you not realizes what you did? I told you to stay out of it."
"Well I thought I was doing what was best for you, turn out I was doing what was best for Zeena." She says the last part quietly.
"Wait...Zeena? What does she have to do with all this?"
"Well she kinda tricked me. She never liked Tess from the beginning and apparently she saw you two getting too close to each other and didn't like it. She basically tricked me into thinking I was doing what was best for you and asked me to lie about Tess." Nia says slowly.
"Okay but what does that have to do with you not saying no? You could have easily not lied to me. I get she's your best friend but still." I say to her.
"Well like I said before. I bought I was doing what was best for you by separating you from Tess thinking she was bad for you... really all I did was let Zeena get in my head and manipulate me." She says awkwardly.
"So then how did you figure out she was lying?" I say still curious.
"Well, after you blew up at Tess and she ran off, I thought everything was fine even though I was starting to feel guilty. I then remembered my next class was with Zeena and Tess. I thought she wasn't going to show up due to what happened between you two but apparently that wasn't the case.

Flashback
Nia's POV
I was on my way to class. I was a little late because I was in the bathroom. I can't help but still feel guilty for everything that happened with Tess. I feel terrible. She didn't deserve the way she just got treated..and all because I had to go and lie. Well at least she won't be bullying Zeena anymore. My job as best friend is complete. Best friends protect each other, even if that means lying. Booker can NEVER find out.
I walk in to class and noticed that the teacher isn't in the class yet either. I won't get in trouble for being a little late. I notice that all the students were there doing their own thing. I looked around for Zeena and the girls to find them hanging out on the back of the class. That's weird. Zeena never goes to the back of the class for anything. She says all the losers and annoying people belong there. I wonder what she's doing. I walk a little closer to see that they are talking to TESS! I would've thought she'd run off home after what she just went through in the hallway. I'm surprised she's in class. What is Zeena saying to her.

"Hey! I decided to come check on you. You know after what just happened to you." Zeena says.
Awww. Even though this girl has been bullying her, she still is being the bigger person. That's my best friend! I'm proud of her.

Tess doesn't look up at her, instead says quietly "Leave me alone."
Seriously what is her issue. All Zeena did was check on her. Ughhh, I can really see why Zeena doesn't like her. She's nothing but rude.

"Awww, did I hurt the poor baby's feelings? Are you going to go cry to Booker now? Oh wait... you can't...because he ditched you too." Zeena says now smiling.
Wait. What did she just say? What is she doing?

"So what?" Tess says getting fed up with her.

"Hopefully now you realize what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. No...one...likes...you! And now Booker finally realized it too. It's about time. Besides it's better this way. Booker is too good for you. So is my best friend. In fact everyone is better than you. So why don't you just go back to where you cane from. Oh wait... you don't have friends there either. I forgot that too. Well at least your out of my hair now. And to think all I had to do was get Nia to believe that you were bullying me. Bye Bye loser." She says before her and the girls turn around and see me standing behind them.
I cannot believe any of this. Zeena, my own best friend lied to me. This is beyond me. Why would she do that. And now thanks to her I just destroyed my brother's friendship with someone who wasn't doing anything wrong. Tess isn't a bully and she never has been. I stand in front of Zeena with a serious look on my face.

"Really Zeena. Are you freaking kidding me right now. I HAVE LIED FOR YOU THINKING I WAS PROTECTING YOU ONLY TO FIND OUT YOU LIED TO ME!" I say becoming furious.
"Nia, I can explain!" She says trying to calm me down.
"NO ZEENA. YOU ARE RIDICULOUS! HOW AM I FRIENDS WITH YOU. YOU USED ME TO TRY TO GET TESS TAKEN OUT THE PICTURE. LAST I CHECKED FRIENDS DON'T LIE TO EACH OTHER. ESPECIALLY BEST FRIENDS! YOU ALWAYS TALK ABOUT HOW TESS IS A LOSER AND A BULLY WHEN REALLY ITS BEEN YOU MESSING WITH HER ALL THIS TIME. YOUR JUST MAD SHE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WASN'T GOING TO LET YOU TORMENT HER AND ACTUALLY BULLY HER WITHOUT GIVING A FIGHT. YOUR UPSET BECAUSE SHE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE POPULAR THAN YOU IF SHE GOT THE CHANCE. YOU KNOW WHAT? GET OVER YOURSELF ZEENA!" I say letting all my anger out on her. By this time, everyone in the class was paying attention. I looked at Tess to see she was shocked. " And by the way, find yourself a new Best Friend because I'm done being your puppet." I say finishing.
Zeena doesn't even look fazed. "Whatever Nia, but you'll come crawling back soon." She says as she gives me a dirty look before walking over to her seat. Ughh I don't even want to sit next to her any more. I pick up my stuff before turning around to see the only other seat that was available was a seat in the back next to Tess. I go and sit in the seat. Maybe I can apologize to her. I try to get her attention but she just ignores her. I decide to then just keep tapping her until she pays attention. She gets annoyed quickly.
"What do you want?" She says now frustrated.
"I wanted to say I'm sorry for everything. I didn't.."
"Woah. Let me stop you right there. Look, I appreciate you blowing up at Zeena and giving her what she deserves and somewhat defend me, but don't expect anything other than that. Besides the only reason you're apologizing is because you just found out she used you. Would you really be saying sorry if that didn't happen?" She says cutting me off.
I think about what she just said and to be honest she's right. That makes me feel even worse about this situation.
"Well, whether you found out that or not, you still got what you wanted. You don't have to worry about me speaking to Booker or you ever again. In fact, just pretend I don't exist." She says before going back to ignoring me again.
I sit back in my seat trying to process everything still feeling terrible.

Flashback Ending
Nia's POV
"And that's what happened." I say finishing the story.
Booker just looks upset but also sad.
"Well I'm glad that you found out about Zeena but I'm also disappointed in you. You still lied to me. Your brother! And thanks to you, I lost what could've been a friend. I forgive you Nia but I hope next time you will just be yourself. Your amazing. Also don't lie to me ever again without good reason." He said extending his arms for a hug. I chuckled before going into them returning the hug. I'm glad that's settled. But...wait.
I release from the hug and look at him confused. "Wait...so your not going to go and fix things with her? I asked. He looks down again upset.
"I already tried and she completely shut it down. She's putting up her wall again. She basically told me that she's never going to forgive me." Poor Booker. I've never seen him give up on anything. I have to fix this. I owe it to him.
"Excuse me? Who was the one who taught me to never give up on anything?" I say trying to get his confidence back.
"I did?" He says guessing.
"Yup. And who was the one who taught me that some people are worth fighting for?" I say smirking.
He starts to laugh. "I did!"
"Then there you go! I think Tess fall under that category of people worth fighting for right now." I say looking at him with a smile on my face.
"But honestly Nia, I don't think there's anything I can do to..." he says before I cut him off.
"Ah,ah,ah!" I say holding up a finger. "There is always something that can be done. You got this. You've worked too hard in trying to become friends with her already and you're almost there. We just need to make her trust you again." I say excitingly.

"That's not easy. Once she puts up her guard, it's extremely hard." He says looking up at me with a confused look.

"Well, I have the perfect plan." I say smiling while winking at him.