Chapter 2

Booker's POV
I finally get to class after running from the other side of the school. I also stopped to buy a snack and a drink from the vending machine. I know I shouldn't have but I wasn't going to go to science class and be bored AND hungry! I walk in while the teacher catches me and everyone looks at me.
"Baxter, you're late!" My teacher says stopping her lesson.
"I'm sorry Ms. Stevens. I had a little... issue to deal with. I also got hungry." I said bashfully
"Whatever Booker. Excuses, excuses. Just sit down. I'll let this one slide." My teacher said while rolling her eyes.
I go and sit down in my seat and I start to daydream. I sit there spaced out for about twenty minutes before I hear Ms. Stevens mention something about projects. I start to pay attention.
"Now class, I'm giving you an assignment. It's not science related like we normally do. I noticed that a lot of you are very clique and others are very quiet and shy with others. So I decided that this will be good for the class to get to know each other a little better." She said cheerfully.
Get to know each other? What is she talking about? I know everybody in here... for the most part.... okay, I really don't. That's only because some people are just not social people. It's not my fault.
"Now with this project you are going to go to a place of your choice, and observe not only what's around you, but the people around you. However you are also going to be getting to know the person you are with and observe them to the best of your ability, which means you will have a partner."
Partner? That's awesome. I already know who I'm going to work with. I space out again until I hear Ms. Stevens say my name.
"I'm sorry, what did you say Ms. Stevens?"
"Oh, I said that your partner is Tess who is sitting in the back." She said smirking.
Tess? Who is Tess? I turn around to see who she is talking about. It's the same girl from earlier! Since when is she even in this class? I never noticed her. She looks up and sees that I'm who Ms. Stevens is talking about. She looks at me shocked and then realized who I was. She immediately frowns and looks up at the teacher.
"Ms. Stevens, I can't work with him." She says angrily.
I start to get frustrated. How is she gonna say she can't work with me when she doesn't even know me? I'm not the one who is rude to people. I stand up and look at Ms. Stevens.
"Actually, I can't work with her. She is rude and ignorant to everybody. Who would want to work with her?" I say looking at Tess giving her a glare. She returns one.
"It's not about what YOU want. It's about what I assign you. She's your partner. He's your partner. Deal with it, or would you rather fail?"
I look at Tess as she looks at me. We both back down and mumble no.
"Good. Then you will learn to work together and understand each other. You all have a week to do this assignment. That's it for now. Class dismissed." Ms. Stevens said as the bell rings.
Tess gets up immediately and leaves the class, not without giving me a glare first. I can't believe I have to work with her. This is going to be a long week.