SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. happy endings !

— IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG BEFORE POLICE CARS SURROUNDED THE AREA, the loud, bright blue and red lights becoming blinding in the darkness of early morning

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG BEFORE POLICE CARS SURROUNDED THE AREA, the loud, bright blue and red lights becoming blinding in the darkness of early morning.

Kevin expected a similar situation to when they found Jason Blossom's body at Sweetwater river, but he never could have anticipated the scene before him as his father grabbed Johnny's shoulders and forced his arms behind his back, beginning to read him his Miranda warning.

"Jonathan King I'm placing you under arrest for first degree murder and kidnapping-" Tom Keller spoke, holding the brunet boy's wrists together and pulling out a pair of shiny metal handcuffs.

"Dad!" Kevin's eyes widened, looking at Johnny, who refused to meet his gaze.

"You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will," The Sheriff slapped one cuff on his wrist, tightening it. "Be used against you in the court of law-"

"Dad, what the hell are you doing?" Kevin asked, leaning forward to try and- try and what, he didn't know. Diffuse the situation? Johnny was literally getting put in handcuffs, how could he possibly diffuse this situation.

Tom Keller seemed to ignore his son's presence, "You have the right to a lawyer, if you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to represent you before questioning."

"Dad I-" Kevin began to argue.

"Kevin, he's the only survivor in a kidnap and killing case, he's managed to influence both you and that psych patient over there away from society and safety in just two hours, and he's led you to two other victims." The sheriff snapped, "Now tell me none of that don't scream 'guilty'. I'd be an idiot not to arrest him."

"No, dad, you need someone to blame and Johnny is the most convenient answer!" Kevin growled back, "As per usual you just want this swept under the rug so the sheriff's station doesn't look like a bunch of idiots."

"Watch your tone."

"Or what, Dad, you'll arrest me?" Kevin asked. "Because that's the easy way out, right?"

"Skittles," Johnny finally spoke, his arms already sore from the awkward angle but it felt disturbingly familiar. "Don't fight it, it's okay."

Kevin felt as his heart raised to his throat, causing it to tighten as his voice strained to speak clearly.

"You know you're innocent though, Johnny." He muttered, pressing a hand to the side of Jonathan's neck- as some form of comfort. "You know it."

"Do I?" Johnny whispered. "I haven't been able to tell wrong from real recently." His eyes caught Chris, looking on at the scene in fear, his eyes a haunted blue as they looked nearly frozen.