SIX

CHAPTER SIX
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. a lot of problems !

— THE ROOM WAS QUIET WHEN BETTY COOPER SPOKE UP

THE ROOM WAS QUIET WHEN BETTY COOPER SPOKE UP. A deafening silence, born from an awkward greeting.

Kevin realized he'd been holding his breath, waiting for something to happen. Good or bad.

He took a breath of air, trying to calm himself down.

And when Jonathan lifted his head, the sun from one of the open windows washed over him, warming his skin and lighting up his eyes, making them brighter. Sparkling pools of chocolate.

That's what Kevin thought anyway, and for a second he lost his breath again.

"Betty!" Jonathan exclaimed, sitting up excitedly and ignoring the pain flaring through his chest as he grinned excitedly.

The woman still sitting in the bed grabbed his arm tightly, sitting up to tuck herself closer to his back. She was hiding from them, terrified, a childlike look of fear on her face.

Johnny put a hand over hers, eyes widening in almost realization.

"Hey, it's okay, they're friends." Jonathan assured, soothingly rubbing her wrist.

"I- I don't want... I don't want-" She shakily started, still only peeking behind Jonathan's shoulder. Her voice had become pitchier, higher. Completely different from a few minutes prior, when her voice was laid back and teasing.

"Rosie, right?" Johnny asked, still giving her his full attention. She nodded. "Okay- Rosie, I'm right here, nothing will hurt you. Meredith won't let you get hurt either, you know that."

Rosie nodded again, moving her hand from his arm to wrap around his chest carefully in a half hug.

They whispered a few more words before she finally let go, and he stood up.

Johnny offered his hand to her, and she took it quickly, letting him lead her towards the trio still standing at the door.

Betty was beside herself in awkward excitement, a little curious but mostly just relieved that he was back.

When they came close enough, Jonathan let go of Rosie's hand and chuckled when Betty threw her arms around his neck, making him lean slightly to hug her.

From all the times Betty had imagined hugging him again, it wasn't even close to the real thing. He was warm and comforting, like hot chocolate on a cold day, enveloping her in a cozy feeling.

She missed it. She missed him.

"God- Betty, it's been so long." Jonathan grinned, squeezing her a little tighter and ignoring the pain in his chest. He was always great at hugs.