FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. he's sick  !

— THEY HAD DECIDED TO WALK TO THE HOSPITAL AFTER SCHOOL

THEY HAD DECIDED TO WALK TO THE HOSPITAL AFTER SCHOOL. Just on a point of the fact that none of them had a vehicle at that moment.

There was still a sinking feeling in Kevin's chest. He tried, he really did, to just focus on Betty's voice.

She'd been ranting to Veronica about the kind of things they used to do, how Jonathan and Vincent were important pieces of their group.

Kevin knew he should say something, warn Betty that they'd be walking into a potentially dangerous zone.

He didn't want to believe it. That Jonathan was sick.

But he was, and Betty had a right to know.

So just as the hospital came into view, Kevin turned around to stop the beautiful blonde in her tracks.

"Betty-" He started, staring at the ground with stone-like intensity.

"What is it Kevin, we're almost there!" She smiled excitedly, glancing at Veronica.

"Betty, listen... He's gonna be-... He's gonna be different than how you remember him." Kevin said, scared to look into her eyes.

She was an optimist, and it was finally paying off.

It hurt to just break down her hope like that, little by little.

"He's... He's sick. Johnny- he's got something wrong with his head." Kevin sighed shakily.

Betty stepped forward, "What do you mean, is he hurt?" She asked, glancing at the hospital doors in concern.

"No- he's just- not the way you remember him. He's still... him, I think- but he-... God, this is so hard to explain." His voice trailed off. "He sees people now- people that aren't really there, you have to know that. These people were real but they- they died and it's left some sort of emotional scar on him, I guess..." Kevin finished.

Betty swallowed thickly, trying to deal with this new information.

"You have to go along with it- he needs these people right now- the doctors think they're gonna help him." Kevin laying a hand on her shoulder, trying to let her know that she had someone there to support her.

He let his eyes fall on Veronica, "You too."

In the short amount of time that Veronica had known Kevin, he had never been this serious about something.

"You must really care about him." Veronica mused aloud, noticing the nervous shiver in his hand.

"Of course I do..." Kevin stated with a heavy heart. "I don't think I could ever love a person more."