TEN

CHAPTER TEN
°⋆∴☽°:۵≼

i. loud minds !

— WHEN TOM KELLER PUSHED THROUGH THE DOOR OF HIS HOUSE IN THE LATE HOURS, he hadn't expected his son to still be awake, and yet, there Kevin sat at the kitchen table, picking at a sandwich and staring at the wall ahead of him

WHEN TOM KELLER PUSHED THROUGH THE DOOR OF HIS HOUSE IN THE LATE HOURS, he hadn't expected his son to still be awake, and yet, there Kevin sat at the kitchen table, picking at a sandwich and staring at the wall ahead of him.

A million thoughts had been rushing through the boy's head, pounding against his skull and making it impossible for him to sleep- or even think of sleeping for that matter. So he'd gotten out of bed, made himself a depressing looking sandwich and proceeded to let the bread get dry and crusty as he continued to explore his mind.

He knew his father would have talked with Jonathan, asked him questions. Kevin only wondered what sort of answers he would get. It seemed like the only thing in his mind lately, had been this looming mystery of his best friend's sudden reappearance.

"You should be in bed." The sheriff grumbled, putting his keys on the counter and shrugging off his jacket, tossing it on the back of a chair.

"I couldn't sleep." Kevin stated simply, letting his head lean into his palm as the other hand mindlessly prodded at the sandwich in front of him.

His father opened the fridge, pulling out a beer and cracking it open against the table, the cap popping off easily with a loud clink. The man sat across from Kevin, sighing and leaning into his chair.

It was quiet for a few moments, the sheriff enjoying his drink and Kevin trying to think of the best way to weasel information out of his father.

"So did Johnny say anything?" He decided on, picking up the sandwich to make it look like he was attempting casual conversation as he ate. He didn't bother actually taking a bite though, the sandwich had been out far too long to be appealing anymore. The top slice of bread was hardening while the bottom slice was becoming soggy with mayonnaise.

The sheriff didn't seem bothered by his son's prying, and hummed in confirmation, "He told us where he's been holed up all these years."

Kevin's heart stopped for a split second, his mind already coming up with countless horrific scenarios, "And?"

"And nothing. We went and searched the farm. Sure, the place is a bit weird and creepy as hell but there was nothing completely out of the ordinary." The sheriff shrugged, tipping the bottle of beer back against his lips.

The boy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "That can't be right. Where are those other boys? What happened to the guy that took them? He has to be close right, he can't have gone far after he killed that other kid-"

The sheriff cut him off, pointing at him, "You aren't supposed to know about that."

"Oh so you just accidently placed your files on the table where anyone could easily go snooping for information." Kevin scoffed, nodding his head toward a stack of papers next to them, letting his sandwich fall back to his plate.

"Just because they're there, doesn't mean you have to look at them." The man huffed.

Kevin laughed dryly, "This is Johnny's case, dad, you knew I would."

"I don't go snooping through your papers." Sheriff Keller pointed.

"Yeah and we both know the only reason for that is because all you'd find is old homework and gay porn mags." Kevin stated, "I'm basically an open book already."

The sheriff cringed slightly, "Do you really-"

Kevin stood from his chair and grabbed his plate from the table, taking a moment to dump the sandwich in the trash bin next to the counter, "That's not what's important here-" he tried to redirect the conversation back on his old friend's case, "What's gonna happen to Johnny?"

Sheriff Keller fell silent, looking down at the wooden table, unable to meet his son's gaze.

"I don't know." He sighed, finally.

Kevin almost screamed in frustration. For years, the King's case had been a dead end mystery because the sheriff's station couldn't do their damn job.

Would it not have been easy to find Johnny and Vincent? Were they not only half an hour outside town this whole time.

How many other boys had to suffer for their ignorance?

How many stupid mistakes had they made by simply settling on the idea of not knowing.

"You're the sheriff." Kevin spat. "Figure it out."

author's note

Shorter than normal but im really trying here folks ♥️

Also characters have actually gone to shit but I really don't wanna watch riverdale again lmao