Chapter 71: Rocker Girls Lose Their Beat

Introducing the incomparable Rowan del Marco...in a moment when she both despairs and shines, like any true rock star...

Row

Beep.

I'm driving a classic T-bird. The top is down. Riley is with me. I don't know where the hell I am—somewhere very flat and very bright. I guess we are headed to a show, because three of my guitars and two amps are in the wide, vinyl backseat.

I am laughing at Riley who's wearing lightening bolt sunglasses and singing a mocking rendition of The Smiths Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

People don't know that Riley is funny. Like in a self-deprecating way. The way he makes fun of the old British post-punk scene—a genre bands like Riley's stubbornly tried to revive a decade ago.

Beep.

Riley stops his imitation mid-Morrisey and removes his sunglasses. "Pull over, love," he says, pointing to a stroller on the side of the road.

I don't want to, I'm afraid we will be late for the show. He insists. I don't pull over. The car stops just the same.

Beep.

He's singing again. The time The Cure. Lovesong. "Play it," I tell him, hoping for once he will pick up a guitar. I reach back to hand him my Epiphone—to play unplugged. That's when I realize—all my guitars are gone. There's a dark haired, blue-eyed baby in the back seat—a girl in zebra striped leggings and florescent green onesie.

I eye the baby suspiciously, trying to figure out just how that happened, because I definitely didn't stop for her.

Beep.

Riley reaches back and puts the lightening bolt sunglasses on the baby. He croons to her. She giggles behind the funny glasses. I don't smile on the outside. I press the accelerator, hauling ass to the show.

"My guitars better fucking be there," I tell him.

"No worries, love," he says.

Beep.

The show has started without me. Harper, Sadie, and Chili are yelling for me from a Mardi Gras parade float that is entering a giant roll-up door

"What the fuck? I hated the Mardi Gras stage set."

"No, you didn't," Riley says unconcerned.

"Yes, I did."

"They didn't.. They chose while you were at the hospital."

Beep.

I reach back for the baby. "You have to take her. I have to perform."

There are only guitars.

I feel frantic.

"Where did she go?"

"Who?" Riley asks as he tunes my guitar.

"The baby!"

He gives me a crooked grin. "You're cracking up, love. She was just a dream."

Beep.

Now he's standing side stage. "Rowan. It's time to wake up," He gestures to the stage. He always says that before I take the stage. It's time to wake up. Because the stage lights are like a blinding dawn, a new opportunity for the brightest day, the best life.

The stage is glowing like a sun. I can feel the heat of the lights and my skin yearns for them. But I'm looking all around for the baby. I have to find her. I need to find her. "We can't just...leave her..."