Chapter 37: Smart Girls Wake Alone

Marley

My brain isn't working quite right. I don't remember Arabella exiting the car. One minute she's there and the next she's not. When I ask Bodie, he tells me we dropped Bells and Mason off at his mom's.

After the third time I ask Bodie where Darius is, and he reminds me that he's spending the night at Will's, Bodie diverts the limo to an ER.

An hour later, they have concluded...pretty much nothing about my confusion. I might have hit my head during the fall and have a mild concussion, or I might simply be overwhelmed from the trauma, but either way they think I'll be fine.

I get crutches and a brace for my ankle sprain, but when we arrive home, Bodie carries me inside. I hold on tight to his neck, breathing him in as he takes the stairs. I feel ok when he's touching me, but I feel a little panicky when he's too far away.

Which is why I don't protest when he sits me on the bed, rifles my drawer for the Sublime t-shirt I never returned to him, and crawls behind me to unzip my dress.

"Why do we keep doing this in all the unsexy ways?" I was going for a joke, but my voice breaks like a sob.

He slides the spaghetti straps off my shoulders and puts the t-shirt over my head as I struggle to wiggle out of the tight dress. When I kick it away, Bodie pulls me sideways into his lap and tucks my head beneath his chin.

"Because loving someone isn't always sexy," he says quietly.

I start to cry then. I'm not even sure why. If it's because he sort of said he loves me, or because I nearly died, or because I'm exhausted and hurt all over, or because of all of it, I'm not sure. I just hold on tight to him and cry.

He says nothing else. He simply rocks me slowly. When the storm of my sobs passes, he tries to tuck me in bed. I won't let go of him. I wrap my arms around him tighter.

"Stay. Make this better," I whisper into his chest.

He smooths my hair and kisses my temple. "You don't mean that."

I meet his eyes. "I do. There's nothing like almost dying to put your life in perspective."

"Marley—"

"We've lost so much time, Bodie. If you want me, then I want you too."

He squeezes his eyes shut, his face twisted almost in pain. A tear falls, but he wipes it away and shakes his head. "It's not about what I want, baby. It's about what's best for you. And Darius."

"You're what's best," I whisper.

Panic is starting to rise inside me as I feel him pulling away, though he hasn't moved an inch.

"Fuck. I told Darius I wouldn't do this." His voice sounds broken as his hands tilt my head.

"Do what—"

He kisses me tenderly.

Caressing my lips, coaxing my will, floating my soul.

He kisses me the whole time he moves us to the center of the bed and maneuvers us deep beneath the luxurious covers.

He lets me unbutton his shirt. He pulls me close against his warmth, but when I fumble with the fly of his jeans, he stills my hands. "No, baby. Just sleep. I promise you, I'm going to make everything okay, and then we will have all the time in the world."

"But—"

His mouth finds mine. Our lips press softly, mostly in stillness, occasionally one of us surrendering to passion because we can't get close enough or deep enough.