Chapter 56: Drummer Boys Need A Break

Let's see if Ronna can put some things into perspective for Bodes...

Bodie

Today has turned out to be a shitty day, no question.

But right now standing here in this garage, there is one good moment about to happen that  I will remember forever--seeing my mama with Darius for the first time.

TJ is charming my mother, ushering her into the garage, closing the garage door behind her. She's standing there looking just as young and pretty as always, in white shorts and an aqua tank top, gold sandals and jewelry. In a weird way, she reminds me of Ashlynn, or maybe Ashlynn and Kat's mom, I guess. She's got that North Atlanta vibe now.

"Hey, Mama."

"Hey Baby," she smiles at me. Her smile fades as her eyes cut to Marley, who looks...bleary-eyed and slightly unkempt in Shay's baggy joggers, but still beautiful.

"Glad you are here, Ronna," Marley says with forced cheer as she crosses her arms and huddles near the door.

"I love you doll, but I really doubt that's true. Last thing you wanna see when you are mad at a man is his mama come to get up in mix. But I ain't specifically here for that, I just came because Pat invited me."

"Did she tell you—" I begin hesitantly.

"Of course she did," my mama shakes her shoulder length hair at me.

"She shouldn't have—" I begin wearily

"You hush. There's a lot of shouldn't haves going around. Pat shouldn't have gossiped, but you sure shouldn't have thought with your penis instead of your brain. You are twenty-eight years old. Are you ever gonna grow up, Bodie Jamison?"

Pure meanness makes me sneer at her. When Darius gives this exact look to Marley I'm giving my own mama, it makes me want to jack him against the wall, but I can't help doing it myself as I retort, "Probably not." I tap my chest arrogantly. "Rockstar. Growing up ain't exactly in the job description."

That makes her mad and she advances on me with a pointer finger, but right then Darius walks out the garage door with a towel on his head.

"Don't mean to be interrupting your very adult conversation but dang,  is there any Gatorade out here in the fridge?"

He pulls the towel from his head and stops on the stairs as he sees my mother. Her scowling lecture has turned to a pleasant smile for him, but not overly gushy. My mama ain't no fool, she knows how to handle herself with kids.

"Oh. Hi. I...uh...didn't know you were coming Mrs. Jamison," he fades, looking around at all of us for a cue how to act.

Marley steps up beside him, and grabs the door handle. "I'll watch the door. Go say hi," she says to him. She looks at me and she tries for a grimace, but she fails. She's too full of feeling to give me an ugly look.

Ah.That pretty little twitch of her lips tells me all I really need to know. She hates me right now, but she still loves me. I think we are still a family.

I put my hands on Darius' damp shoulders and walk him forward. "Darius, this is my mother, Ronna Jamison." I lower my voice and check the door. Marley has a firm grip on the handle and is leaning close, listening for anyone approaching on the other side. "Your grandmother, of course," I add in a low murmur.

I look to TJ, but he's not looking at me. His face is on Darius, watching him like...I don't even know what. Like I imagine he watched him the first time Darius cut loose on a bike or the day he and Marley dropped him off for kindergarten.