Chapter 57: Drummer Boys Negotiate

Bodie

The third through fifth floors of the Colossal building are leased to industry peripherals—including press and talent agents. I push through the frosted glass door lettered with Emsworth Agency and come face to face with my nemesis.

In a pencil skirt and four inch heels.

"Ariadne!" I grin, holding my arms out wide. "What? No hug?"

She stares at my dreadless head then looks me up and down. Her lips part. She barely stops herself from biting them. "Wow. What happened to you?"

Ah. I guess I've finally faded my junkie physique and crossed the line back into the stud range, if I've even got Ariadne's lips lickin'. I toss an arm around her.

"Love has made me a new man, baby. Now, don't get jealous. You had your shot. But instead of being sweet to me, all you wanted to do was boss me around. So I had to go the other way—and find sweet comfort with your coworker."

"God help Dr. Watkins," Ariadne intones dryly, but she does pat me on the back. "You look good. I'm glad to see you doing so well. But tell me, do you guys schedule your spirals?"

As if on cue, I hear a crash behind the reception wall facade and a familiar, slurry, "Shit! Sorry! Y'all really need a sturdier bar cart! Don't worry—I saved the tequila."

As the glug into glass starts, Ariadne shoots around the mustard wall and I follow.

Leed is still wearing his club clothes from last night—ripped up jeans, a pink corduroy jacket that looks like it came from the thrift shop but probably costs three large—Tom Ford, I would bet—and a vintage pastel Phish T shirt. Only a redhead sex god looks that pretty in crumpled pink.

"It's 10am, you maniac." Ariadne tries to swoop the tequila from him, but Leed laughs and holds the bottle over his head—and well out of her reach, even in those Jimmy Choo's.

"Bodes! Brother!" He grins at me and points at her. "I like this one. You like this one?"

"Yep. Careful though. She might knee you in the balls to relieve you of your liquor."

His knee automatically comes up and then he swivels, sidestepping her, taking a two-shot swig and putting the bottle firmly on the low table in the midst of the green couches, giving her the warning finger. "Don't touch that, Addy-rod-nay."

I can't help laughing at my drunk bastard of a best friend as we clap it out.

"That bad, man?"

"That fucking bad, Bodes."

"You'll get her back."

"Working on it."

"All you're working on is a liver transplant," Ariadne snaps, picking up the fallen lowballs, swiping the tequila and removing the entire bar cart.

"Naw. I gotta plan," he tells her. He looks at me. "Shit. I wasn't gonna tell you that. The plan I got involves illegal activity."

I nod. "You gonna kill Varrick Von?"

Leed's eye go wide. "How the fuck did you know that?"

"Hmmmm. Word travels. But I'm not he's what you think he is."

"He's a fucking psychopath. He hurt Ashlynn. Bad."

"He is messed up, maybe. That's why you need to be careful, Leed. Don't fuck with him."

"He's what standing in my way of being with Ashlynn. I'm not gonna fuck with him. I'm going to obliterate him."

I rub my head. The man that hurt Ashlynn is sitting sixteen floors above us and he's Varrick Von's brother. But I can't tell Leed that. This building we are standing in? It's like a house of cards and this recklessness could bring it all down on us. Maybe it's better he fucks with Varrick. At least it will keep him occupied and I can keep Varrick warned.