Chapter 14: Drummer Boys See Ghosts

Bodie, two months later, Thailand

I wake, lift my head, check to the right, see Bell's naked body twisted in the sheet, check to the left, groan, and close my eyes again.

There's another stranger in our bed.

Damn. This is getting to be a habit.

I ain't no noob to this scenario, but Bells and I never rolled that way on tour. Not until Thailand. Now, it seems like it takes another chic to start her fire.

Maybe it's the ecstasy, I reason. We've been doing more of that here. Less coke, more ecstasy, and more pills, but I'm keeping Bells managed.

Mostly, we've been chillin', drinkin' and easy druggin'. Swimming in the ocean and swinging in a hammock.

Except when we're fucking some other chic.

From the looks of her sunburned ass—this one is a tourist with less time in country than us.

I search my hazy memory for the girl's name.

I come up with nothing.

I slither out the bottom of the bed and sit on the floor for a long time, trying to feel human enough to gain my feet.

I'm pretty used to feeling like shit these days, but this is extra.

Eventually, I crawl to the porch of the hut, where there's a case of bottled water. I lie there listening to the waves while I down two and smoke a cigarette. When I finally make it to my feet, I head back inside. Bells and the fangirl are awake.

There's a filmy mirror on the bottom of the bed.

Ah, the fangirl has been holding out on us. That's definitely her coke, because I've banned it from our list of acceptable drugs.

But apparently, the fangirl was keeping a little in reserve, and she shared it with Bells. The coke revived them enough to start going at it again.

I blow out a weary breath as I watch my own personal porn show.

"Oh god, Lacy," Arabella moans as the girl's hand slides down Bell's stomach into the twisted sheet.

Ah. Lacy. That's her name.

It's been nice knowing her, but it's really time for her to go...back wherever she came from. I clear my throat but they ignore me. I call Bells' name.

She makes an impatient sound and wags her hand at me. I honestly can't tell if it was a "come join us" gesture or a "go-away" motion.

I laugh.

They can go right to hell, actin' like I'm a third wheel.

Who's the rock star here?

I turn to the top dresser drawer for a little pick-me-up of my own, since these two rude little bitches didn't offer me a line.

My stash box is empty.

No weed. No pills. What the fuck? We can't be out. I just bought our weekly "shopping list" from the little Irish drug dealing weasel right before we picked up Lacy.

I rummage all the other drawers while the girls continue to finger fuck each other. Nothing.

That's when I check my phone. The date seems...not right. I scroll back through the pictures and memories start to arise.

Fuck. Lacy's been with us more than a night. From the looks of the series of photos, she's been here days.

And we've blown through all the liquor and all the drugs. Well, thank fuck there are still cigarettes.