Chapter 1

The day was cold. The skies were dark and cloudy. Everyone seemed to mourn for the day to come. After all, it was reaping day. Even though my name was only in the bowl one time, I still feared that I would be chosen. That I would be taken away from my family. From my mother. From my sister. To be forced to fight to the death. And I knew I had no chance of winning if I was, indeed chosen. My mom helped me dress in my best. It was time. My sister was nowhere to be seen. 

              "Where is she?" I ask my mom. All I got in reply was a stare. "Mom? I asked you a question. Where is Katniss?" 

             "It's time to go, Prim," was all she said.  

             "Where's Katniss!" I yell. Still, only a stare. "Mom!" My mother practically pulled me out of the house and down the dusty dirt road of the Seam. "No!" I screamed. Hoards of people trudged the streets. My mother was still pulling my arm. "Let go! You're hurting me!" My mother ignored me. We arrived at the main square where we all gathered for the ceremony. Still no Katniss. I started to cry. "Mom! Please let go!" She ignored me. 

               "Welcome everyone!" the high-pitched, chipper voice was way out of place here on this day. The voice belonged to Effie Trinket. "Let's get right to it. Ladies first!" She walked over to the giant glass bowl and picked up a slip of paper, which I was praying, didn't have my name on it. Effie unfolded the paper and read, "Primrose Everdeen". I gasped. I felt dizzy and nauseous and confused. But it's only my first year! This wasn't supposed to happen! I screamed. Then, I sat up in bed. It was only a dream. 

             My sister, Katniss was there in an instant. 

             "It's okay. I'm here," she says, holding me tight in her arms. She strokes my head as tears slide down my cheeks. "It was only a nightmare." 

             "It was me," I say, looking up at her. "I was chosen." 

              "Hey, you're name is only in there once," said Katniss. She continues to comfort me. "Look, I gotta go, but you can jump in bed with Mom if you want." 

             "Okay," I agree. Katniss gets up to change out of her nightclothes. She likes to hunt in the early mornings with Gale. They've been friends for as long as I can remember. Together, they provide for both of our families. I will be forever grateful for both of them. 

               I did as Katniss suggested and climbed into bed with my mom, because it was still dark.  I snuggled against her warm body. Even though she kind of left us for a while after Dad died, I forgave her for that. I'm not sure Katniss has though. 

               I thought about the day to come, and it seemed that going back to sleep was the last thing I could do. But I thought about Katniss and my mom. I thought about warm food. I thought about Buttercup. I slipped out of my mom's bed and tiptoed to the little kitchen. There, I found my cat curled up in a ball. I grabbed him and brought him to bed with me this time. I got snuggled under the covers with my mom, once again, but this time with Buttercup next to me. He purred softly as I stroked his soft back. Soon, I drifted back to sleep.