I Understand Now

When Lance was 13, he had a friend named Ash. She had wavy, black hair that was cut in a side cut and went a little above her shoulder. She had light mocha skin, only a little lighter than his own.  Her nearly black eyes always had a spark of mischief and joy. They were inseparable. They'd laugh and talk, sit to gather for lunch, they did everything they could together. 

    Lance was loud and outgoing whereas Ash shy and reserved. No one really knew how they got along. 

   As they grew older, Lance made more friends and became more popular. But he stayed loyal to us. As the months passed, he saw the joys park in Ash's eyes fade. He watched as her smile looked  more and more strained . Her laugh developed a certain hollowness. She stopped talking about herself, only listening to Lance with a sad smile.

    But Lance was too happy and oblivious to understand what was going on. Sure, he'd asked if anything was wrong but Ash repeatedly brushed off his questions. He didn't think twice when Ash started wearing long sleeved tops. Her thoughts were slowly devouring her soul, her conscience was drowning her. She was losing herself to her own mind.

.....     .....     .....     .....     .....     .....     .....    .....     .....     .....     .....     .....     .....    .....     .....     .....     .....     .....    

   Lance stood silently, watching the infinite universe around him. All the others were asleep, so no one will find him here on the observation deck. Thus leaving him alone with his thoughts. A chorus of self deprecating thoughts, "what if's",  and "if onlys" sang to him on sleepless nights like these. He sighed.

   I have nothing to offer to the team. Shiro is our fearless leader, Allura is our diplomatic representative and she basically powers the entire damn castle. Pidge is our genius and Hunk is our engineer and our cook. Coran is Allura's support, being the only other Altean alive and all. Kieth is...amazing. He's our best fighter and the quickest. He may be hotheaded, but he gives something invaluable to the team. And me? Nothing. Comic relief at best, even being the human punching bag would be better. I'm the 7th wheel. Useless.

    Years later, after climbing aboard the blue lion, he finally understood. 

    "I'm so sorry, Ash" he whispered into the solitude. "I should've noticed. Done more. I was a stupid child, oblivious  to what was staring at me in the face." Lance let out a low, bitter laugh. "I understand now Ash.... I understand now."

   With tears falling from his sad ocean eyes, he headed to his bathroom. He did his 15 minute beauty routine and got ready. Lance looked in the mirror and built a mask to hide the boy he never wanted to show anyone. With a flirty smile and finger guns, he pointed and his reflection and said, " Let's go face the day as Lance McClain, the obnoxious, happy, goofball." And walked out.

...

(496 words)

I'm really sorrryyy!! I wish it weren't that short. The others should be longer. Ash is an OC. Ciao!