Chapter 7

The seminar was over and Sanem was both excited and disappointed. She had met so many wonderful people. They had all given her such high praise on her writing skills that she was on cloud nine. Two of the publishers that had attended were very interested in her work and asked to present her rough draft to their firm. She was shocked and overjoyed. Was she going to allow herself to think it might really happen? Maybe this was what it meant to 'get yourself back on track' and start to forgive.

Can hadn't call or sent a text in over three weeks, she thought maybe he'd lost interest or given up. Oh, I hope nothing's happened to him. It is pretty dangerous up there in the mountains and a lot can happen like a fall or something, but he done this before, he'll be fine. Don't let your over active mind get the best of you.

The woman who ran the bookstore by the dock was needing some help in rearranging the store and ask Sanem if she would like to give a hand. The pay was decent and the work was right up her alley. Being able to read and learn about all the books she had in her shop was almost unthinkable. All that and getting paid for it too, it couldn't get any better. Iris was in her late 60's and couldn't climb the ladder much to reach the top shelves so Sanem was happy to be able to help her.

Sanem had told her sister that would be staying on there for a while but didn't give a timeline of when she would be returning home. Her mother had called and all but ordered her to return immediately. She knew that was going to happen when she revealed her plans to Leyla. With a lot of persuading and explaining about her job there and all the nice people she had met and friends she had made, Mevkibe reluctantly agreed to let her stay. Sanem as casually as she could: " Mom, has Can tried to contact you about my whereabouts?" She replied, "No, not us. He has called Emre and Leyla upteen times and even threatened Emre if he didn't find out where you were." Sanem ended the call and promised she would call daily to let them she was fine and thanked her for understanding.

First day of work was fantastic but very tiring. A lot of remodeling was going on and it was going to great when it was done. When Sanem finished work, she went back to her cottage to relax on the deck with a sandwich, a glass of wine, and a book. It was so quiet and still that not even wind chimes made any sound. The ring of her phone made her jump and wine spilled everywhere. It was Can! Oh crap, just decline! Sanem never let it go to voicemail. Once the call was forwarded, almost instantly a text message appeared on her screen saying, "No nothing has happened to me. Everything is fine but we were just out of service for a while" Oh that man, how does he know all my thoughts? She couldn't help but smile, just a little.

The moon was so big and bright that night she could see clearly all the way down the beach to the rocks. She grabbed her blanket and the refilled glass of wine and walked to the shore. As she spread out her blanket and sat down close to the water, she thought of Can looking at the same bright moon and playing with his moonstones. There were an abundance of good times that remained in her memories, some were etched there for rest of her days.

She noticed some movement out of the corner of her eye and turned around sharply to see a young man walking her way. He was waving and said "Hi I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you again!" Sanem replied, "No it's alright you didn't scare me." The man responded "My name is Luca and I live in the house by the rocks. I have seen you several times on the beach and thought I'd introduce myself."  

His smile was infectious, as he extended his hand. She smiled and reached for his hand in return, felling an instant connection to him. 

Then she answered, " I'm Sanem, pleased to meet you.".....